Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Top Dog

Default Male dogs getting too excited!

I have a male yorkie that's 10.5 months old and he pees all the time whenever he get excited expecially seen other people that he knows. I know this is a comon problem for male doggies but when do they stop? How much longer do I have to wait until he stops this?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Felurian

That's probably submissive urination. The best thing you can do to help him get over it is socialize, socialize, socialize. It's going to be a matter of self-confidence.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

I tried everything. His only like that to people he knows. I always tell my boyfriend to ignore him and not call his name because if he does he gets overly excited and then starts to pee everywhere.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm a Rat Terrier

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is submissive urination and excitement urination. Both of them are beyond the control of the dog. The only thing I can think of is to have people great him very calmly and have him sit before the people will greet him.

I do know that two people I know have wonderful well trained dogs and they both will occasionally pee if they get too excited. I think this is also more of a problem for small dogs?!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Felurian

If it's any consolation, it tends to gradually stop as they get older. And it is more common in the small and toy breeds.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

My Cocker Spaniel will pee when she gets excited and she's 3 yrs old. She will only do this when my mom or hubby's mom or someone she really knows and gets excited to see them come in. Sometimes, I'll know to bring her over to the ceramic tiling when she greets them
Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 AM
Puppy Dog

Red face Puppy peeing from happiness!

I have 5 month old golden retriever ( Amy) and she also pees whenever I or my husband comes home. We tried pretty much everything... greating her calmly, commanding to sit, ignoring her completely, so she could relax a bit. Nothing works so far. First of all - greating her calmly doesn't work, because once you touch her, she just goes wild and overly happy! RESULT- pee on the floor. Commanding her to sit works until you bend to touch her - onces you do that, she pees all over you ( because from the sitting position she lays down and then you can imagine what happens!). To ignore her is one way to it, but then she gets all upset... So, between three options - getting the dog's pee on the floor, getting the dog's pee all over yourself and getting an upset dog who will still pee on the floor once you make peace with her - what would be your choice?!!!!!!!!! I chose the dog's pee on the floor for now! ( as far away as possible from the carpets!!!!!!!)

The most rediculous thing is that she not only pees when we are not home for long hours, but she also pees when we go out for half an hour for some shopping. Hmmmmmmm... Is this something that puppies do and hopefully it will go away? Or it is something that will go on forever? Tricky question!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Felurian

The large breeds in particular generally grow out of it.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian