Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Big Dog

Arrow a couple questions

Hi everyone...
I need a little advice on a couple questions. First, I have a serious problem with my dogs jumping on me. I know they are just excited to see me when I get home, but it is annoying to strangers, and their nails really scratch! I have tried turning away, and not giving any attention until they are sitting, etc..but it doesn't seem to help yet. They don't jump on my husband but they do jump on me and guests as well.
Second, my younger dog, a PBT is a real puller on a leash. She is very very strong, and I am exhausted after just a short walk. I have tried a regular collar, and she seems to choke herself, and she now wears a harness style on our walks.
Thanks for any helpful info.........
Melissa
Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Felurian

Watch your husband carefully and see what it is that he does differently with the dogs that makes them react differently to him.

As for the pulling, training to heel will be your best bet. You may have to use a pinch collar to train her.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Big Dog

well they are intimidated by him, and he uses a stern voice to correct misbehavior so they obey him. I try using a stern voice and basically they laugh at me if they could....
Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Felurian

Mine are the same - but they're just more excited to see me than they are to see Charley. (We won't tell him that, though! lol)

A knee thrown up in front of you normally works very well, or at least it did with my German Shepherds. It does nothing with the Filas except give them a better chance to get me off my feet so they can nuzzle me in the face and snort in my ears.

I have to admit that they're pretty good with "DOWN" now that they're growing up, except when I come in after I've been gone for a few hours. Then the girls are just beside themselves and turn into excited puppies.

For those desperate situations they both understand what "DAMMIT" means!

Bimmer's just a good dog. What can I say. If my girls were half as well mannered as he is they would be paragons.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian