Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Active Pup

Default Thank you all

Thank you all for the quick and delightful response to my questions. I search the web for Golden Retrevier and Great Pyrenees pictures. I donít now if the pictures that I have attached below are representative for each breed but comparing them with my dogs pictures I think that is more similar with the Great Pyrenees. So I probably have a shepherd outside my house. I only hope he donít believe that I am a sheep. If you can spare little more time for me I want to ask you some more things.

Great Pyrenees

Golden Retrevier

3. Can any estimate my dogís age. I donít have a clue about dogs growth so I canít guess. Now has the size (but not the weight, he is heavier) of a full-grown adult cat. When I took him home, 1 month ago, he couldnít run more than 5-6 meters without a fall although he could walk and stay on his feet still without a problem. Also when he run he used his rear legs together like a kangaroo. At this age (1 month ago) he couldnít concentrate his eyes on something more than 2 seconds and he couldnít lift his head to look at me. Now his ďrunning performanceĒ is better, he can concentrate his eyes on me, cats, or anything he wants and he can lift his head to look at me. But when I am at the balcony and make noise in order to draw his attention the cats instantly realize where I am and start to mew looking at me but the dog start to run here and there searching for me without having the ability to look straight up. I hope this information will help you to estimate my dog age. If any other information is needed I will gladly give it to you.

4. Except his chewing habit around the house he also has a chew-carrier habit. When he sees something that like it, he chews it for a while and then (in some cases not any time) carries it at his doghouse. He has a strange attraction to bones (even if there are several days old so it is a kind impossible to use them as lunch Ė after all he can chew only small bones but carries also big ones at home), leafs and small branches. Why is this happening?

5. Some days ago start to dig a hole and seemed really excited doing that. Why he is doing that? Is a game?

6. My dog is very friendly even when he meets completely strangers without having me at his side. That seemed to me very strange because living with cats for many years I have seen that they are calm only around known faces. When they see a stranger they disappear in no time without waiting to approach to see their intensions. On the other hand the dog is extremely friendly to all. When he sees a stranger he run toward him shaking his tail without any hesitation. So what is happening the intelligent dog donít fear stranger but the less intelligent cats use extremely precaution when see one? I donít want to be extremely protective with my dog but I want not to be so familiar with stranger. I donít want to attack any stranger he sees but not to approach him. How could this happen? He will understand the dangers as heís growing or I have to do something?

I hope that you donít get tired with my many, and probably silly to you, questions.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Felurian

Petros, you can't ask too many questions! And trust me, you're going to have lots and lots of questions with a herding breed. They are wonderful, almost frighteningly intelligent sometimes, obsessive and will never give you an opportunity to be bored!

First, don't worry about his behaviour with strangers right now. That's actually a very good sign. It shows that he's a very self-confident puppy. He will probably become less exuberantly friendly with strangers as he gets older; herding breeds are watchful by nature.

If you haven't done so already, you need to take him to the veterinarian for an overall check, including heartworm, his immunization shots and especially rabies shot. The vet can give you a pretty good idea of his age.

Your descriptions of his actions tell me that you are very observant - much more so than many experienced dog owners. From what you've described, it sounds like someone turned him loose from his mother a bit early, since the behaviours and size you describe now sound like an eight to ten week old puppy; the behaviours you describe when you first brought him home sound like those of a very young - five to six week old - pup.

Carrying "treasures" to his bed is a pretty typical trait of these molossoid herding breeds. My German Shepherds didn't do so much, but these Filas - especially Kharma, who's purely working stock - are notorious for it!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Felurian

Sorry to cut off so abruptly. Kharma had to go out.

Digging holes is typically doggy fun. It goes back to hunting prey in the ground. Shiva takes spells where she does major excavations, generally in the front yard even though she's got sixty acres to dig on. I guess I should be glad she's not doing it where the cows will step in the holes and get hurt! I think a big part of it is hunting moles and voles. I keep finding dead ones on the front porch. Bimmer won't touch them, so I know they aren't his, and Kharma eats anything and everything she kills. Shiva only eats the groundhogs - so far she hasn't caught any rabbits or squirrels.

The cats aren't necessarily less intelligent because they hide from visitors. They know how vulnerable they are. Cats - according to available statistics - are the most abused domestic pet animals, and most aren't willing to take a chance until they've scoped out the strangers pretty thoroughly. They're also much less "domestic" than dogs.
If you haven't already, now's the time to start short training sessions with your pup. He needs to be learning basic commands, like sit and lay down, and how to walk politely on a leash. This also helps imprint on his mind that you are the leader of his family. The herding breeds can be very dominant dogs and it is important that he always see you as the leader.

I'd highly recommend that you get either the training books or videos (or both) by the Monks of New Skete. You can get them over the web, or find them at most book stores in the U.S., if you live in the U.S. They will help you a lot with understanding your dog and establishing a great relationship with him as well as giving you excellent guidance for training him.

Here's the link to the Monks dog training site: http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

ó Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Active Pup

I know that I overdone it with my questions but when you have this gorgeous animal you always have more and more questions . Thank all for the great help which you provide me and I hope I manage to train my dog well.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Felurian

You're very welcome, Petros, and we expect you'll have lots more questions - especially as your pup gets older. He'll be more rambunctious, more inquisitive, more full of mischief - and much, much larger.

Be sure to check out the threads on different feeds. Most are in the Health forum. Linda Arndt is a great source of information for nutrition and some of the physical things you have to watch out for, particularly in the large breeds. Her website is www.greatdanelady.com

ó Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Puppy Dog

Wink

Seems like a retriever to me too. But what do I know!!!

Anyway, on the biting topic. DON'T let him bite. Be very strict about it. He has to understand that it is wrong. When I just got my Amy, she was also biting all the time. I started by saying " NO BITING" to her whenever she even opened her mouth for a good bite, plus, if she managed to bite me still ( even if it is a game!!!!!!!!!!) I would leave her alone in the room and not play with her for several minutes... I wouldn't smile or be nice to her. ( the dogs can understand the facial expresions!)
Also a good method, in my point of view, is a CAN. Take an empty CAN fill it in with coins (half way). The CAN will make awful sound that dogs hate. Anytime the puppy bites, say very rudely " NO BITING" and shake the can in front of the puppy. It has to be quick and "mean" in a way. My puppy stopped biting completely. Just a view of the can freaks her out.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Love my pets

When my stepson's puppy tries to bite, all of us try to have a toy/bone on hand to give the puppy instead of our hands. So far this is working. It takes time, but after doing this over and over, the puppy seems to finally want the toy instead.