Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Just try me..

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Wow- a lot of info there!!.................that will keep me busy for a couple of days
Thx
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Felurian

Eukanuba isn't a company that uses human grade ingredients in their food. It's not in the ingredient list in particular, it's their standard manufacturing practice.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

I was hoping you guys had confused the methionine with menadione, i was worried methionine was bad because the food i am going to buy for the cats has it (California Natural) and didn't want to buy a new food and switch again after finding out an ingredient is harmful.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

Hi Maxy- no they aren't related at all. menadione is a Vitamin k- which can be harmful in high doses, but methionine or DL- methionine is an essential amino acid (a building block of proteins), is quite safe- I had made my previous comment only on the reason why the manufacturer might add extra- perhaps as the meat source was of lower quality or amount and required supplementation'.
My horse vet actually sells DL Methionine in pure form, as some people like to supplement- helps hoof growth etc
Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryBear View Post
I walked by the Eukanuba section of PetsMart today and saw a brand new bag of food. Since the pricetag was only 6.99, I picked it up ready to see what kind of atrocity it was...and I just had to sign up so I could share what I saw:

Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Flavor, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Rosemary Extract
The bolded ones are the ones I have issues with.

When you consider that Taco Bell and KFC are considered "human grade" what do you think that leaves for our pets to eat? Ick.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Back of the Pack

Normal Stuff:
Quote:
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed),
New Stuff:
Quote:
Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp
If we re-order according to hydrated and dehydrated it's probably look more like

Normal Stuff:
Quote:
Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed),
New Stuff:
Quote:
Chicken Meal, Fish Meal, Venison, Potato, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp
Dried egg product and dried beet pulp might move in accordance with how "dried" it actually is but oh well.
Less filler more meat but still crap.

You still have mystery fish which can be anything from grade A herring to bottum feeding suction eel and lots of pointless fillers.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
<--------Orson

I just got a coupon today for $5.00 (actually two coupons.......one for dog, one for cat) off this new food "naturally wild" so I figured I would come and search here first, LOL

If there is anyone interested in giving it a try, or anyone using it already, send me a PM and I will gladly mail you the coupons.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I just got a coupon today for $5.00 (actually two coupons.......one for dog, one for cat) off this new food "naturally wild" so I figured I would come and search here first, LOL

If there is anyone interested in giving it a try, or anyone using it already, send me a PM and I will gladly mail you the coupons.
Haha Coop, you really DO love your COOPons

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010