Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Exactly Zoom. We do use cage dryers, but, we have have a huge floor dryer that only blows cool air and we only put a dog in an open cage when under the dryer...never ever a crate.
In my area a dog breeder killed 2 of his cocker spaniels under a cage dryer. This breeder is very highly respected and his cocker spaniels are well looked after. I don't think people understand that a mistake like this can happen to a good person. He never intended on killing his own valuable show dogs...but, he did...it was a mistake. And there have been a couple of incidents of groomers in our area killing dogs under cage dryers....one groomer went for lunch and left a dog unattended under a cage dryer! The cage dryers that run warm can be very dangerous...
We also have a few groomers in our area that are really rough with dogs. We have one dog that comes in to us as the last groomer put its head under water to try to calm the dog down...it was a young dog and very hyper. The dog now has nuerlogical damage and suffered many problems after this incident. The groomer even told the owner what they had done and justified it as "tough love" You would never think this girl would do something like this...really sweet girl who loves animals and volunteers her spare time to the local rescue center.
There is another groomer (we can't prove it) but, he is known to be very rough with dogs and uses shoe strings instead of muzzles on all dogs that come in. He has been seen by some temp hires throwing dogs across the room, hanging them, punching them...etc.
Some gromers can make mistakes, then there are other groomers who are cruel and only in it for the money. the dog doesnt cooperate, they "make" the dog cooperate. If I didn't groom my own dogs I would do major research on a groomer before leaving my dogs.
So, I don't think a groomer should have charges pressed against them for a mistake. Mistakes happen, they shouldn't and with education they shouldn't happen....but, for groomers who are deliberately cruel to dog, I think they most certainly should have charges pressed.

Last edited by Athe; 08-16-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Twin 2.0

those stories are horrible! Personally, I'd never take my dog somewhere that didn't have windows on one wall so everyone could see what's going on. The people who use "rough love" techniques generally don't like those places because there are too many questions.

I know there are dogs that are hard to handle, but that's what approved muzzles and tons of patience (and a possible handling fee) are for.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Felurian

Hehhehheh, Athe . . . Maybe I should start a business that charges for taking a full grown Fila in to be 'groomed' by one of these "tough love" groomers

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Renee750il, that would be a great idea
It is really shocking how some groomers (I found more male groomers to be rough) can be so sweet to the customers face and so rough with the person's pet. At the shop my Sister owns she has had a few dogs come in for grooming that were so tramatized we had to start getting them used to the groom all over again and take baby steps. If I hear a groomer works on their own and gets in 10 dogs a day and puts in a 6 hour day...I can be quite sure they are being rough with the dogs. Some groomers get money hungry and can't cope with a dog acting like a dog.
If you drop off your Fila to some of our local groomers you could help us stop animal cruelity...how sweet and generous you are. we could also cut back on the unneccesary human overpopulation problem we have...haha
Old 08-17-2005, 12:35 PM
:( only one :(

Oh my that's so sad! I've groomed since 1989 and never worked in a salon that used either cage dryers or boxes for the specific reason. Table drying is a lot safer.