Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Oh, and Diamond is actually not a 'bad' company, like so many think. The mishap they had a few years ago was due to some bad corn. Diamond was NOT involved in the gigantic dog food recall that happened not too long ago.
I was going to point that out too outline It was bad corn a few years back (2005), as in corn that had Aflatoxin (a harmful fungus that grows on it)

Not only that, they did the recall as soon as they knew what was happening.........unlike MANY manufacturers involved in the last big issue who waited around and denied it, or blamed the places where it was processed instead of taking responsibilities for buying low grade crap from China.

Anyway, Diamond was NOT involved in the big China issue, and Diamond Naturals does not have corn in it.

I have recently switched to the Naturals chicken/rice since Canidae changed their ingredients and so far I don't have anything bad to say about it
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Love my pets

Hubby told me that the dogs' poop is harder on the Diamond Naturals than it was on the Kirland.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Show Dog

I feed the chicken soup line here. They are one of the few with a formula that is higher in fiber for my diabetic dog. She is doing really well on it. My little guy has been on it since I brought him home. Again, he's doing great. I don't feel guilty feeding a food my dogs do well on and I can afford. That IMO is the defining criteria. Sometimes we get so caught up in having everything "just so" that we give ourselves unneeded guilt.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Not only that, they did the recall as soon as they knew what was happening.........unlike MANY manufacturers involved in the last big issue who waited around and denied it
**cough, cough

not entirely true

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
**cough, cough

not entirely true
Please elaborate. I do not mean that in ANY negative way. If I am mistaken then I would like to know about it

I know they set up call centers and the whole shebang. They were quick to help families with Vet costs associated with the problem, and tried to do what they could for the mistake.

If you have information pointing otherwise, I really, really want to know about it because it does make a difference IMO. A "mistake" can happen to anyone or any company............but how it's handled/dealt with is what I look for
Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

At the time of the aflatoxin recall, I was feeding chicken soup. My dog become very sick. We went to the vet and she told me to get him off that food. She had seen several dogs get sick on chicken soup. I then found many more people who also were feeding chicken soup and who also had sick dogs.

I and many others contacted Diamond. Diamond's answer was that chicken soup was safe because it didn't have corn in it. Meanwhile a quick search on the web informed me that while aflatoxins prefer corn, they will bind to rice.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Diamond regular (I think its called 'premium') Is some junky stuff. The Diamond Naturals line is actually very decent. A very good food for people who's dogs do well with some grain in their diet. Before I went grain-free my dogs were fed Diamond Naturals. They all did well on it, my mom's dogs still eat Diamond. I ALWAYS reccommend it to anyone as a good (pretty cheap) dogfood.

Anyway, no one should feel bad (imo) for feeding Diamond.
Along with Diamond Naturals, some other Diamond products such as Taste of the Wild and their treats are also good. I haven't had any problems with my dog with feeding Taste of the Wild.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM
<----Thanks Allie

not trying to argue, but maybe they were actually unaware that the rice was bad too at that point?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
not trying to argue, but maybe they were actually unaware that the rice was bad too at that point?
Either unaware or completely dishonest. I prefer to think they were unaware. Unaware and disinterested. Unaware is bad enough. But to do nothing after being informed of a possible issue really bothers me.

As much as I dislike Science Diet, I did have to give kudos to Hill's for pulling their food (during the menu foods recall) even though their food didn't appear to be a risk - simply because it was made at the same plant.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!