Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I don't have anything to add except that I don't think it is the training method, but how the class was managed that caused the problem. Czech/DDR lines are traditionally more defensive but that trait isn't going to manifest itself at 5 months old. This sounds more like a fear based reaction based on the bad experience the pup has had while in this class.
Exactly- obviously not managing the class well at all..
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

thank you ALL for the advice and suggestions..I am going to pull her from this class..

Just want to say a couple things,,(don't mean to overlook everyone so sorry if I miss something)...This behavior DOES only happen in the class setting. Even the couple of "people" incidents, it was people who , I don't want to say charging at her, but maybe startled her? didn't come from a "front" approach.

I DO also agree, most if not all, of these behaviors are the result of a mismanaged class setting,,I am certainly NOT against the training methods, but am rather pissed off with the lack of control and allowing of rude behaviors from others.

Just as an update,,tonite, I took her out for a long walk backroads, traffic, lots of houses, other people walking dog (and used a flat buckle collar I might add) and she was fine,,,no car lunging, we would sit/focus/treat while cars went by, and we also happen to run into someone walking a couple of small dogs (shih tzu's) I asked him from a distance if he minded me using them for a little "distraction",,he was nice, didn't mind, stayed on the opposite side of the road,,Masi was interested but not in "defense" mode AT ALL,,,his dogs actually started going wacko/barking/lunging , and I had her sit, focus, and she didn't react to the rude dogs at all...The guy was trying to shut his dogs up,,I said that's ok,,we need this kind of test)So,,THAT alone made me feel better, that right now anyhow, it seems to be the "Class" thing..

I also had a repair man in my house today, and she was totally fine with him,,(I know it was in the house she is probably comfortable here but still)...

So thank you all for your advice and suggestions..Oh and here is a picture of the 'beast'
Diane
Old 09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Just as an update,,tonite, I took her out for a long walk backroads, traffic, lots of houses, other people walking dog (and used a flat buckle collar I might add) and she was fine,,,no car lunging, we would sit/focus/treat while cars went by, and we also happen to run into someone walking a couple of small dogs (shih tzu's) I asked him from a distance if he minded me using them for a little "distraction",,he was nice, didn't mind, stayed on the opposite side of the road,,Masi was interested but not in "defense" mode AT ALL,,,his dogs actually started going wacko/barking/lunging , and I had her sit, focus, and she didn't react to the rude dogs at all...The guy was trying to shut his dogs up,,I said that's ok,,we need this kind of test So,,THAT alone made me feel better, that right now anyhow, it seems to be the "Class" thing..

I also had a repair man in my house today, and she was totally fine with him,,(I know it was in the house she is probably comfortable here but still)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

not a masi update, but a class update,,,I took my non reactive, "seasoned" aussie, and she was the 'star' of this unruly class)

I have definately dumped it with Masi, but Jynx, enjoys it, and could care less about unruly big mouth barking/lunging dogs..) Tonite was no exception to the previous class, we have a bichon who acts like a raving lunatic and wants to fight with eveyr dog in there, a golden who is a very happy boy, just VERY VERY happy),,an aussie who is also a big mouth, who the bichon attacked and they got into it,,,a siberian who is also full of energy, but seems to want to play...The trainer admitted she didn't realize she'd have so many reactive dogs in ONE class,,ahh well, Jynx is liking it and I'm still getting the benefit of the positive instruction..
diane
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
But please, call me Barb

Sounds like you found the perfect solution!!!

A friend of mine that does training actually split one of his classes because he had more than expected leash reactive dogs.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

an update on my Masi girl....We've been out and about, to a 2 day agility trial, (where things are quite chaotic) and this girl has not reacted negatively to one thing ))

She made quite a few new NICE doggie friends, met loads of people who she 'loved' and hung out in tight quarters with some loud obnoxious dogs and could have cared less )

I'm happy I haven't "ruined" this girl and she has the wonderful capacity to bounce back from her 'not so positive' class experiences..

In the meantime,,my aussie is loving it that she took her place in class, and could care less about rude dogs )
diane