Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Designed for Love

Default The fat on a marrow bone??

Just wondering.... sometimes when I get a marrow bone there is a LOT of fat on it. I have been cutting most of it off. I figured a lot of fat isn't good for a dog. Is that right or wrong? I leave some on it, but some bones have a whole bunch on it....

also.... most of the marrow bones I get at the grocery stores are just round slices, kinda like little tires. Is that how most of the marrow bones look that you guys get? Thanks for any replies..

Last edited by Sher; 10-05-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: need to add
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

That's part of the shank bone ....but from a round steak . Fine for tiny dogs , but I wouldn't dare give one to Ollie ! None of the bones I get have that much fat on them as they are usually sold as soup bones . If marrow doesn't agree with your dogs , you can scoop some out .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Designed for Love

WHAT is part of a shank bone? I don't understand. Also, marrow suits my dog fine... I was wondering about the fat.... would you cut it off if there was alot on it??...

Old 10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Island dweller

I don`t have any right now or I`d take a pic but the knuckle bones (marrow bones) I feed look like this only raw

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/pic...ef_knuckle.jpg

Sometimes they have a lot of fat on and I leave it on for the most part. Unless my dogs are chunky in which case I don`t want them having too much fat and will trim it.

Sometimes I can`t find the knuckle bones so I`ll buy them the cut marrow bones. They look like this fuzzy pic

http://www.yellowpawcafe.com/images/marrow.gif

Those are less ideal as the can`t gnaw off the knuckles. I take them away as soon as the marrow is gone.

If your dog does ok with the fat I think it`s ok. Unless of course it`s an extreme amount or he`s chunky lol
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Designed for Love

Thanks, Saje.... I have never seen a raw knuckle bone at the grocery store. Do you have to ask them to check in the back for one?

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Island dweller

You could do that. It really depends on the store. You might try a local butcher too and ask them to set them aside.