Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Felurian

Typically, they just don't care. It's not a glamorous or exciting case, and people who complain about dogs tend to nag and nag and nag, making call after call, so the local authorities tend to want to just make the whole thing go away. Very few people have the funds it would take to hire a defense attorney for their dog in a case like this, and truthfully, there aren't many attorneys who would take a case like this. Someone really should, though. It raises all sorts of ground breaking legal questions, the foremost in my mind being does our judicial principle of "innocent until proven guilty" (theoretically) hold true even when the defendant is of another species? It seems to me that if it is a sound and admirable principle it should extend to any entity within the bounds of our judiciary.

Charley once had a similar potentially ugly problem here at the farm before I met him. Someone built a new house one field over and had a smaller dog - about 30-40 pounds. Charley's old dog, Odd Job, was aging and had lost a great deal of movement in his back legs. The neighbor dog kept coming over and harrassing Odd Job, until he got tired of it and bit the dog pretty seriously. The other owner called animal control and told them that a pack of Rottweilers had mauled his dog. Animal control came out to investigate and Charley showed them the "pack of Rottweilers." Elderly Odd Job came limping out, walked up to the officer, licked his hand and promptly lost the balance in his hindquarters and flopped down. So much for a murderous pack of Rotties! Of course, the neighbor still holds a grudge. Charley has enough of a reputation as a loose cannon from his boxing days that no one really wants to press anything - especially regarding his dogs!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

And that news article..ladies and gentlemen..is a perfect example of why you should:

a) Never leave your dogs outside..guard dogs or not.. :P DOGS SHOULD NOT BE TIED UP ON CHAINS...you never know what your dog may be getting into when your eyes aren't there to watch over it...and why else?

"Chaining a dog creates an unnatural and unhealthy environment. Dogs require excercise, mental stimulation and social interaction with either other dogs or with the humans who aquired them. None of these requirements can be met living at the end of a chain." ( quoted from the following book: )

http://www.fataldogattacks.com/purchase.html

b) Always keep your dogs (this is regarding that yorkie) on a proper leash so they DON'T go charging up to animals that could probably kill them in a second

c) Tell people never to believe the media..they're good at making the little dogs look innocent, and the bigger ones monsterous and vicious killers.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Wolfpack

Post ...

You know that is really true around here.I have friends that have dogs (a cocker spaniel and a basset hound) and we use to walk our dogs in the park.Since because of the people (and mostly because of the pittbulls,the ones that I've told you about with bad owners) we,the owners of the other dogs are forced to keep them in 2 playgrounds for dogs that are a little small.One day we were walking in the park and the police officers told me to leave the park (even though my dog was on a leash) and to my friend to put her dog on a leash (the cocker spaniel had no leash on).I was so mad,not on my friend but on the fact that they told me to leave the park because I have a big dog and my friend that has a cocker just to put the leash on.Hellooooo,both of them can bite.I just think that it's unfair to treat the smaller dogs any different.Why?Because they are small?They can do the same damage.And you know what,my other friend that has a basset hound,her dog is very bad.This is also her fault because she didn't show him who is the boss.And now the dog is the master of the house.Anyway I just wanted to say about him that being a male and all he hates,but really hates other males.Especially rottweilers.And he is always the one who starts the fights.
Another thing: there are that hysterical owners with little dogs that when they see a bigger dog they imediately take them up in their arms and the dog feels protected and he starts barking at the other dog.
One day I was passing by with Amira on leash and a man was coming with a mix of Pekingese.When the dog saw Amira he nearly went crazy,started barking,was choking with the collar.The owner was just laughing that his "mighty killer" wanted to bite Amira.So I got angry and said to that man:"If he is so mean why don't you put him a muzzle on?".I don't know why he got upset.Obviously it was "something I said"
And another thing (this has nothing to do with little dogs): What's with every single mother or grandmother that says to their child whenever they see a big dog (I don't know if they say this about any dog or just when they see a big dog):"Look at that dog.How big he is.But don't go near him cause he will bite you."Or if a kid cries because of something I hear them say:"Stop crying or the dog will eat you".And so on and so on.I'm so angry.I mean what's a kid suppose to believe when he will grow up?He will definetely hate dogs,right?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Felurian

Nicco, what can I say? It's all very unfair and maddening. I guess, though, we should be glad that these horrible owners of little dogs DO own small dogs - can you imagine what kind of owners they would be if they had big dogs?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Sadarra

[Sorry, been gone at fair so couldn't reply]

shredhead, the authorities don't care. They'd just as soon remove the problem that is wasting their time, ie remove the dog. Their are certain rules to the three strikes rule, the main one being the dog has to be behaving in a threatening manner and off the owner's property which brings us back to why the Rottie owners are punished. The dogs were on his property, not running loose in the neighborhood.

Seattle dog owners are working to overcome this but it's a long way off. As it stands people can call your dog in for anything, so long as they make it seem like the dog is a threat to people's (or animal's) safety.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

I can't believe how aggressive those rotts would kill a yorkie. Can you imagine you getting killed by those two dogs. Ok the yorkie owner should of been more careful. Technically it's not the Rott's owners fault because the yorkie did transpass. Poor little yorkie.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:32 AM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Awe thats sad about the Yorkie. But it wasnt the owner of the rotts fault. They were tied so it was the Yorkie's owners fault.