Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
$73 for a 26lb bag. Innova is $56 for a 30lb and EVO is $66. Wellness as a rule is VERY expensive here, and CORE is the most expensive of their foods.
Wow! I have a small dog so I only get the 6.6 lb bag and it lasts a couple months. It's about $19 for EVO and $10-11 for CORE here. At least at my feed store, but everything there seems very cheap.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Pet Care Expert

Hi there,

Some of my favorites are rather pricey, but here they are:

Innova EVO contains no grains, only potatoes which are a great source of B vitamins and minerals. The top four ingredients are turkey, chicken, turkey meal, and chicken meal. Other high-quality ingredients include whole fruits, vegetables, and eggs.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Loverís Soul is a reasonably priced all-natural brand made with top-quality ingredients, including four meats. The brand offers a wide selection, with formulas for puppies, adults, large and small breeds, overweight dogs, pregnant dogs, and seniors.

AvoDerm natural formulas contain avocados, which have an abundance of vitamins A, E, and C, as well as folate, potassium, niacin, and essential fatty acids. Choose from chicken and brown rice; lamb and brown rice; chicken meal, brown rice, and oatmeal; and vegetarian formulas.

Canidae offers dry and canned formulas for dogs in all different life stages. Made with human-grade ingredients including hormone-free meat, Canidae food includes 10 skin and coat conditioners.

I recommend the following resources to help you make your choice:

* The Truth about Pet Food is a video that exposes the practices of pet food manufacturers and teaches you how to read a pet food label.
* Rate It All provides consumer ratings of different dog food brands.
* A+ FRR for Dogs lists a side-by-side comparison of five popular dog food brands: Flint River Ranch, Iams Chunks, Eukanaba Adult Maintenance Formula, PETsMART Premier Oven Baked Chicken Recipe, and Science Diet Canine Maintenance Original Formula.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:47 AM
<--------Orson

We recently switched to Diamond Naturals Sparks, I found the ingredients in their chicken comparable to the ingredients in Canadae.

We get it from the Tractor Supply Store for 40lb bags @ 26.99.

I did a comparison on the SG Millenia vs DN Beef Meal & Rice. It might be worth looking into for you

Sold Gold Millenia:

Quote:
Ingredients

Beef | Beef Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Brown Rice | Millet | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Menhaden Fish Meal | Flaxseed Oil | Parsley | Thyme | Dried Seaweed Meal | Dried Cranberries | Dried Sweet Potatoes | Dried Apples | Dried Carrots | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid
Diamond Naturals Beef Meal & Rice:

Quote:
Ingredients
Beef meal, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, peas, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Love my pets

I've been using Kirkland Chicken & Rice $23.99 (40 lbs.)) but was running low and couldn't make the 45 mile trip down to Costco so went to Tractor Supply and bought Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice $26.99 (40 lbs.) since the ingredients seem close. I go through a little over three 40 lb. bags a month.