Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
PSD Partner

Default Switched the dogs food

Well it was costing almost a 100 a bag to feed the dogs Innova so I went back to the food analysis site and chose Timber Wolf:

http://timberwolforganics.com/Wilder...-4lb-5-1-8kg_2

Wilderness blend.

I also have my siamese kittens on Taste of the Wild:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Rocky Mountian feline formula with roasted venision and smoked Salmon

All seem to be doing great on it. Even the switch over there was no sign of problems like soft stools or anything. One thing I like about the dog food is it seems to make the stool(what little there is of it) have very little smell. Seems like a small issue but when you use a potty pen it helps.

I really didn't want to switch from Innova but these foods are suppose to be just as good and they seem to be doing just as well if not better on them.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Twin 2.0

How is Timberwolf cheaper than Innova??? Around here, Timberwolf is almost $30/bag MORE expensive...wow. You're lucky.

I've heard great things about TOTW though, good luck with that!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Pet Care Expert

Innova is one of my favorite brands, but I don't necessarily think you need a pricey variety to give your dog the nutrition he needs.

Anyone whose considering a different brand should check out the following resources:

* The Truth about Pet Food is a video that exposes the practices of pet food manufacturers and teaches you how to read a pet food label.
* Rate It All provides consumer ratings of different dog food brands.
* A+ FRR for Dogs lists a side-by-side comparison of five popular dog food brands: Flint River Ranch, Iams Chunks, Eukanaba Adult Maintenance Formula, PETsMART Premier Oven Baked Chicken Recipe, and Science Diet Canine Maintenance Original Formula.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Twin 2.0

Or you could go to www.dogfoodproject.com and learn how to read labels for yourself, instead of relying on a third party that might have a monetary bias in their recommendations.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Aging Canine Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_hollywood_pets View Post
lists a side-by-side comparison of five popular dog food brands: Flint River Ranch, Iams Chunks, Eukanaba Adult Maintenance Formula, PETsMART Premier Oven Baked Chicken Recipe, and Science Diet Canine Maintenance Original Formula.
flint river is the only halfway decent one of the ones mentioned, and its second ingredient is WHEAT FLOUR. uhhh no thanks.

I prefer to purchase quality dog foods, not pay for their advertising.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 AM
PSD Partner

Yeah but I was having to have the Innova specially shipped in. Which is why the high cost. Innova for the large bags was usually between 60-80. Then add 15 per bag for shipping. Nope couldn't afford it. Thought we could and it would be worth it but am so far glad we decided to switch. We will see though as time passes.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
just call me Nilly

Well, here Timberwolf just put through a HUGE price hike, not sure if it's going to translate everywhere though. Something to keep in mind.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

I think we are switching too. We have been feeding Kirkland, but our Costco membership expired and we figured it would be cheaper just to get Chicken Soup, cause the ONLY thing we get at Costco is dog and cat food. So you figure 2 bags of Kirkland dog for 43$ total, and 4 bags of Kirkland cat for 56$ total a month PLUS 40$ for the Costco membership. So thats 132$ a month for pet food.

BUT I am unsure how much chicken soup is, so we will have to see if its more or less, including the Costco membership.

How much is chicken soup? (Cat and dog, and how many pounds is the largest cat food bag)