Need suggestions for new food

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
OK right now we feed Beezer and Belle "Solid Gold Millennia" and this food has been working well for them....

HOWEVER.... The only place around here we can find it has raised the price over TEN dollars in the past year. So for a food we were once paying $38 for... we now are paying $50 for.

I want my dogs to have a good food but this is ridiculous. I'm not going to continue to allow this company to rob us blind by jacking up their prices all the time.

SOOOO.... throw out some food names that would be good kibble for them.

I know of one place to get Innova and I checked the website for locations but it's not really at ALL convenient to get. so unless nessecary that is out.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Maybe TOTW? We just started Strider on it and he loves it (the prairie formula). He finished up a bag of wellness core, and despite the raw we are supplementing him with he still managed to lose some weight and get a dry coat on it.

What kinds of protein do your dogs do best on?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Wellness Core is really nice, but pricey. You'll pay more for it than you have been for Mmillenia.

Honestly, my vote is Innova. I know not every food is right for every dog, but I love Innova, and would feed it in a heartbeat if I was feeding kibble :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, Im a sucker for Natura's foods, so I always suggest them. They don't work for every dog, but it's worth a try. If I wasn't gungho on not feeding grains, I'm sure the dogs would still be on regular Innova.

I think you'll find that all kibble has gone up. We pay nearly $50 for EVO, but there is no way I would pay $50 for Solid Gold. The cat eats TOTW and I may try it for the two that are kibble-fed. I like the ingredients and such in Orijen, but I've never tried it for the dogs.

Also, I like Natura's buy 12, get the 13th free. It takes awhile to get there, but it's a nice giveback.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Is Wellness CORE really that expensive there? It's like $10 cheaper than Innova here. I looked at it, but I'm too pleased with the EVO to try a switch.

I am also a big Natura fan, I've never been more pleased with any kibble I've tried the dogs on. We've used California Natural, Innova, Innova Senior, and EVO RM.

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Ditto about the Natura. EVO is my favorite and next time I get dog food I plan on trying EVO RM.
Canidae used to be decent but I wouldn't go in that direction anymore.
Here's the link for the store locator for TOTW. My dogs love it and it's a good food. They do better on the EVO but every dog is different.

All foods around here took about a $5 a bag increase in the last month. I recently switched from Timberwolf Chicken to Fromme Chicken because the TW went up so much only to find the Fromme going up the same amount a month later.

I am mixing the Fromme 70% with Euk Large Breed Puppy 30%. Don't ask. :rofl1: Never thought I'd do this, but we use it on our puppies for the Gluscamine and Chondriton...and it does grow coat. A new discovery. :yikes:

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
There's really nowhere to run to get away from the increasing cost of dog food. It parallels the increases in food, fuel, etc and will only get worse before it levels off (hope down the road the dollar will strengthen again).

I homecook and I responded to increasing costs the same way many dog food companies are doing - by using cheaper ingredients. Only mine are still all human-grade. :lol:

Taste of the Wild gets the thumbs up from my gang. Diamond Naturals has a beef and barley flavor if I'm not mistaken. The Naturals line has never been affected by any recalls. Diamond is sold at many feed stores as well as some pet supply stores.

BostonBanker

Also, I like Natura's buy 12, get the 13th free. It takes awhile to get there, but it's a nice giveback.
I don't know if it's just the store I use or a company policy, but I get the same deal on Orijen. Or I will, if Meg ever actually finishes 12 bags.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Is Wellness CORE really that expensive there? It's like $10 cheaper than Innova here. I looked at it, but I'm too pleased with the EVO to try a switch.

I am also a big Natura fan, I've never been more pleased with any kibble I've tried the dogs on. We've used California Natural, Innova, Innova Senior, and EVO RM.
$73 for a 26lb bag. Innova is $56 for a 30lb and EVO is $66. Wellness as a rule is VERY expensive here, and CORE is the most expensive of their foods.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
$73 for a 26lb bag. Innova is $56 for a 30lb and EVO is $66. Wellness as a rule is VERY expensive here, and CORE is the most expensive of their foods.
Wow! I have a small dog so I only get the 6.6 lb bag and it lasts a couple months. It's about $19 for EVO and $10-11 for CORE here. At least at my feed store, but everything there seems very cheap.

Hi there,

Some of my favorites are rather pricey, but here they are:

Innova EVO contains no grains, only potatoes which are a great source of B vitamins and minerals. The top four ingredients are turkey, chicken, turkey meal, and chicken meal. Other high-quality ingredients include whole fruits, vegetables, and eggs.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul is a reasonably priced all-natural brand made with top-quality ingredients, including four meats. The brand offers a wide selection, with formulas for puppies, adults, large and small breeds, overweight dogs, pregnant dogs, and seniors.

AvoDerm natural formulas contain avocados, which have an abundance of vitamins A, E, and C, as well as folate, potassium, niacin, and essential fatty acids. Choose from chicken and brown rice; lamb and brown rice; chicken meal, brown rice, and oatmeal; and vegetarian formulas.

Canidae offers dry and canned formulas for dogs in all different life stages. Made with human-grade ingredients including hormone-free meat, Canidae food includes 10 skin and coat conditioners.

I recommend the following resources to help you make your choice:

* The Truth about Pet Food is a video that exposes the practices of pet food manufacturers and teaches you how to read a pet food label.
* Rate It All provides consumer ratings of different dog food brands.
* A+ FRR for Dogs lists a side-by-side comparison of five popular dog food brands: Flint River Ranch, Iams Chunks, Eukanaba Adult Maintenance Formula, PETsMART Premier Oven Baked Chicken Recipe, and Science Diet Canine Maintenance Original Formula.

ACooper

We recently switched to Diamond Naturals Sparks, I found the ingredients in their chicken comparable to the ingredients in Canadae.

We get it from the Tractor Supply Store for 40lb bags @ 26.99.

I did a comparison on the SG Millenia vs DN Beef Meal & Rice. It might be worth looking into for you :)

Sold Gold Millenia:

Ingredients

Beef | Beef Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Brown Rice | Millet | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Menhaden Fish Meal | Flaxseed Oil | Parsley | Thyme | Dried Seaweed Meal | Dried Cranberries | Dried Sweet Potatoes | Dried Apples | Dried Carrots | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid
Diamond Naturals Beef Meal & Rice:

Ingredients
Beef meal, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, peas, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've been using Kirkland Chicken & Rice $23.99 (40 lbs.)) but was running low and couldn't make the 45 mile trip down to Costco so went to Tractor Supply and bought Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice $26.99 (40 lbs.) since the ingredients seem close. I go through a little over three 40 lb. bags a month.

Members online

No members online now.