Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
Be PATIENT.

Stop looking for a dog, and look for a mentor instead.

Go to dog shows.

Join breed specific mailing lists or bulletin boards.

If the National Club puts out a newsletter, sign up to receive it.

Find out what local/regional clubs might be in your area and see about joining. Help put on events. EVERYONE LOVES A WORKER!

These are some ways to get to know about the breed, and more importantly, who is who, before you decide where you want to buy a puppy.

I am looking for a mentor, but at the same time, I'm looking for who I am going to put my name down on their waiting list. I also want the person I end up getting a puppy from to sort of be a mentor.

My question, is with this exchange between this breeder and me, would you scratch him off your list. I was planning to do that, but I don't like to just assume things about anyone, so I'm asking opinions. I'm no where near buying a dog yet.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I would not really eliminate anyone at this point. What I would do is stop asking about puppies. When you find the right person, and they understand your dedication level, getting a puppy won't be an issue.

So look for that mentor. Or several. The most important thing is to get to know the people before you decide who you want to hitch your wagon to.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

You inquired about a puppy, so you're shocked when he said what he had and that he'd help show you the right direction? Sorry I don't get why this is so horrid? He has a puppy that he's looking to home. If the puppy isn't for you, it's not for you. I don't think that makes him a bad breeder. I did not talk to Pat long at all before we got Regis, and he is a great dog and she is a wonderful lady and an excellent mentor. I wouldn't shot this breeder down because he's doing what you asked.

What breeder is it?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
<----Thanks Allie

CL: I never asked him about a puppy. I only had two communications with him, in both I showed that I was interested in talking to a breeder for advice bc I'm planning on getting a puppy in the future to start shows, and that I'm just starting the process now. He also claimed that he "promised" me a dog, but like I said, I filled out the pre-screen form, bc there was no email address that I could find. He then emailed me stating he didn't have any puppies, I DIDN'T respond to that. That's when I got the email about this dog. So no, he didn't "promise" me anything, I never talked to him. Then I got an email about this dog, which this is my exact response "Thank you for keeping me in mind! Unfortunately, I'm looking for a showdog so I don't think it's going to work. I'm still in the process of looking for "the breeder," so if you have any recommendations or advice I'm all ears! This will be my first show dog, so I'm taking it slow." He still tried to sell me this dog. All, without ever talking to me.

Also, the point of this thread, is for people who have more experience with breeders to tell me if this is a major red flag that I should take him off my list of "possibles," or if it's nothing major and I shouldn't worry. From what I've read about breeders(on chaz too), things like this are redflags. I didn't put his name anywhere in here, bc I don't know what the whole situation on his end is either. I don't want to possibly hurt his rep as a breeder, bc I may be overcautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post

Anyway, one of the breeders had this online pre-screen form that you fill out. For the question, "Why have you chosen to bring a Cardigan into the family?" I wrote "I would like to get into conformation shows and possibly agility shows. I'm not sure exactly when I want to get the dog, but I would like to start talking to breeders and such so I am ready when that time comes"

I also tried to word that in in a few other questions(there was no email address to just directly email them). A few days later, I got an email that they didn't have any puppies, but could direct me to people with other puppies. I didn't email them back right away, and before I could I got another email saying that a male pup just became avail. It had the price and that there was a neuter contract that he would have to be fixed before 1 yr of age. It also said he had people on a waiting list, but promised me first.

So I responded to that one, that I am looking for a show dog, so I don't think that it would work. I also wrote that I'm still looking for the right breeder for me, and I'm going to be taking this slow, and if he had any advice to offer me I'm all ears.

The respond was that this guy has great breeding, and he's worthy of being shown.

Now, the only "communication" I've had was the form I filled out, and that one email I sent to him.

Last edited by xpaeanx; 09-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

I don't feel it's a red flag at this point.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

I'd say if it feels like a redflag,,it's a redflag)

Going ONLY from what you've written,,it sounds like he's trying to push a puppy on you without asking you anything, and without thought to your initial request,,finding a breeder you can learn from in order to obtain a puppy to show in the future..

IF you have selected "your" breed,,I suggest finding an email group dedicated to 'that' breed, join it,,throw out there that your looking for a mentor and see what happens.
diane
Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Bored Now.

Personally that would make ME eliminate that breeder from my choices... that's just a little too weird.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

The question here is whether the breeder intended to interview you prior to placing a puppy with you or not? Of course, it is possible that he got you confused with someone else and thought he had already interviewed you. This may be why he said something about promising you a puppy. Personally I would get more information before crossing him off the list of potential breeders.

About the male pup who suddenly became available...it is possible that this puppy was one who was originally placed as a pet (hence the neuter agreement) but when the breeder got him back, the pup turned out to be far better quality than expected. Or the breeder had a litter that was all spoken for, then a pet owner backed out leaving a pet pup available, then a buyer switch (one backing out, a new one coming along) and a show pup became available. Hey it DOES happen!

Just my rambling thoughts......
Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

It's also not uncommon in Cardis- at least in my experience- for there to be a lot of 'showable pet' pups- pups that are good enough to finish if the owner is dedicated to showing them, but probably won't be worth breeding, since people tend to have higher stanards for a stud dgo than they would for a brood bitch.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
<----Thanks Allie

yeah, I think mills tend to gravitate towards pems....same as BYBs...