Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

This is going to sound really rude. But I don't think I'm alone in this opinion, especially on this forum.

Dogs are companion animals. I have no issues with dogs living outside when they get sufficient interaction/exercise every day to keep them healthy, mentally, emotionally and physically, and if the weather isn't too harsh for the breed.

From what you have said, the dog cannot live inside with his family because of your mother's health. That is perfectly fine, and not the first time a dog/family has been in that situation. However, you said that his barking is constant. There is something lacking in this dog's life to make him miserable enough to constantly bark. He is not getting enough exercise, mentally and physically. So to displace his stress, and relieve his boredom, he is constantly barking.

He needs an entire lifestyle change. It sounds like your family doesn't pay him enough attention to keep his stress levels down from living alone outside. He needs much more exercise than he is getting, and in his elderly years, he deserves it. He needs a family to interact with him, and provide for his mental, physical and emotional needs.

We all love our pets and want the best for them. At this point in his life, since you are at college and he has no one else to really care for him, he needs a new home, period.

Since he is a small breed, he stands a better chance of getting adopted. Give him a chance at an indoor life.

Do you live in an apartment at college that allows pets? If so, then take him with you. He deserves the companionship.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

I would most certainly look into a doggy daycare or a family member/friend to take care of him while you are gone.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Active Pup

weve bred poms though. when we left the other poms alone by them selves even for just an hour they never barked like this.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl1988 View Post
weve bred poms though. when we left the other poms alone by them selves even for just an hour they never barked like this.
That doesn't mean that this particular dog isn't lonely
Old 09-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

Every dog has it's own personality.

Living outside with little to no human interaction or physical or mental exercise might have been ok with your other dogs, but apparently not for this one.

Everything that has been said so far is an option. I'm not entirely sure as to what you want us to tell you.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl1988 View Post
Have you done anything differently with this one?

I'm just curious, really, don't take this the wrong way: Why have you had poms all this time if your mom can't handle them? Why not a lighter-shedding breed - chihuahua, chineese crested, poodle, etc? They have similar temperments but it would seem that they would work better for someone with allergies.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Top Dog

If your Mom has bred Poms , how did she manage taking care of the litters ? Surely they weren't whelped outside . Is this the 1st time the Pom's been alone outside ????

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Top Dog

I also wonder how you possibly bred poms when you have to keep them outside for your mothers health? Did the puppies live outside?

This dog is OBVIOUSLY bored out of his mind! Sure, dogs bark (Especially certain breeds), but a dog that barks NON stop and lives outside with nothing to do....yeah, they will bark a LOT.

Try to imagine living by yourself. Outside. With nothing to do at all. Would you enjoy that life? I doubt it.

I also agree with rehoming him. Do whats best for HIM!! Who cares if you bred poms,and the others didn't do that. He IS doing it. He IS BORED. 12 is not extremely old for a pom. They have long lifespans (Though, a dog that has lived outside for so long with litter human interaction will have a shorter life span). And I think you could find a really good home for him, where he will get the attention he deserves..And where he can live inside. It is NOT right to force a Pomeranian to live outdoors.