Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
orange iguanas.

Let me just say that I didn't know I would feel like such an idiot trying to find a clicker today, lol. Went to one pet store and couldn't find any, which didn't surprise me because it mostly just carries the very basics. Went to Petco, looked ALL over, probably looked crazy walking down all the aisles multiple times... finally decided to just go up to the registers and ask someone, and of course, there are the clickers right next to the check-out.

ANYWAY. So far so good... Lucy at least seems to "get" what's going on. Charging it went pretty well, after we had done it a few times, she might have been sniffing the floor or whatever but right after I'd click she'd look at the table where I had the treats.

Started working a bit on getting her attention, it's something that she's okay at already, but there are times where she'll just completely ignore me. Only spent a couple minutes on it but it's going well... it got to the point where she was just staring me down haha and wouldn't break her gaze.

But I can tell you I'm already liking this! My mom thinks I'm crazy and doesn't understand what the point of the click is, my brother (surprisingly) thought it made perfect sense and started rambling about some Pavlov guy he learned about in psychology and how the concept is basically the same. lol.

Thank you thank you for the help, guys. I'll probably have more questions as we progress into other things

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Yay! Do keep us posted!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
That's true... my friend had been teaching her dog retrieve for the past year or so, they practice it about once a month, maybe.... he's progressing just like any other dog who practices it every day.

To be fair, though, ihartgonzo did say "some dogs", so I'm sure she's right.
For sure, I certainly wasn't suggesting that she wasn't right. I was just stating that in general (which leaves room for "some") clicker training produces a long term retention. Sometimes if the behaviour deteriorates you might need to quickly review your original process but usually this gets you back to speed very quickly but I still think this doesn't imply you need to constantly train to keep the behaviour fresh as you could just bring it up to speed quickly at a later date.

And yay that's fantastic to hear Southpaw keep us updated

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln