Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
The chicken meal doesn't bother me. That's ground up meat and bone. It's not by-product meal, so it's fine.

The Vitamin K bothers me though.
Yeah it should say which kind it is.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
and Fozzie B!

Chicken Meal, according to many accredited nutritionists (like Mordy!) is in fact preferable over "Chicken". It's simply the "Chicken" with moisture removed before hand, which means "Chicken Meal" contains muc more real chicken content, rather than useless moisture, considering that "Chicken" is 80% moisture.

I don't see any huge red flags with this food, but I'm not a huge fan of the single protein source followed by LOTS of grains: Brown Rice, Steamed Oatmeal, Rice Bran, Whole Ground Flax Seed.... that is quite a heaping helping of grains. If all of these grains were combined, I'm pretty sure that they would out-weigh the single "Chicken Meal". However, that's pretty much my only concern. How much does this food cost?

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Island dweller

It`s expensive. About 60 a bag I believe. I`m not thinking of feeding it. Just curious since I`d never heard of it before and it`s local.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
<--------Orson

We have a local one around here too, Looks really good as far as ingredients (it only has a handful of ingredients in it) and they even make/offer herbal remedies. I would love to give it a try but I just think it's too expensive............

Burns if any of you have ever heard of it....... LINKY

Very close to my house
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Just try me..

Chicken meal is better than just 'chicken'. Chicken meal is the dried good stuff. Due to the amount of water in fresh meat the proportion of meat to other ingreds is low when it is just meat. (unless there are a few at the start)

Foods like proplan start off with meat. But as its fresh its very high in water. If they dried it first then put it in the ingred list it would be way down below the grains.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Big Dog

From what I understand, even if a list says chicken, it still ends up being chicken meal by the time they dry it and grind it to put it in the kibble. So chicken = chicken meal plus water.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
( and please remember- I am biased against kibble food.. It would have to be really good for me not to raise an eyebrow..)
If you hate kibble can you really give a legitimate opinion on meat vs meal?