Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Active Pup

Default frrustration with training

I am so frustrated I have 2 dogs I got the second dog three months after the first the first was able to obey all commands and was doing them well. When I got the 2nd dog they would sit,stay, and go down but only with treats with food and not for long periods. They used to stay longer but no more and never outside. If I try to train them separately, each is totally focused on trying to find the other. If I train them together they respond for maybe 2 or three tries then forget it, they start to play with each other and forget about training. They are maltese dogs and now they are 15 months and 12 months. I also have a husband who although I insist the dogs sit when I come in and sit for food etc. He only does it when I tell him to and never when I am not around. If he tells the dogs to sit and one lies down instead :he figures it is ok and treats them anyway. I keep saying I have to train my husband first but I think that is hopeless.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Just try me..

Training tips-Make sure your dog can't see any food when you are training. Its great to use food as a reward, but it if its present during the cue-it becomes part of the cue.

Ask your husband why he thinks its 'good enough' and does he realize he is undermining your training? He might not think it matters.

If he can't seem to reinforce the correct cue, ask him not to cue anything.

Training 2 dogs together if very very difficult. Train one at a time for a while.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Your Mom

I agree with above. Consistancy is key with EVERYONE in your household, and training them separately still. Also keep in mind that you still have young dogs who's minds quickly wander when it comes to training, so don't expect too much of them too soon.

Have you taken any training courses? It sounds like you just need some help with the basic ideas behind training to make you more successful.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

I would most certainly train them separately. One of the problems with getting two puppies so close together is the extremely strong bond that forms, which is causing a few of your problems. When you separate them just wait and let him look for the other, if he shows any attention towards you brighten up, put on your happy face and maybe even toss a treat. When he is done looking for the other you can start training.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Also just wanted to add, for the never listening outside part, remember that from your dogs point of view outside is ALOT more interesting then the house where they spend 24/7. Up your rewards, save extra SUPER Yummy treats for training outside and only do so after youve been out for awhile, and in a low distracting area ( like a park with noone else around).

Then and only then can you gradually increase the distraction, but remember you are not always going to be the most interesting thing in your dogs environment, so training them that responding to you in gradually more distracting environments will pay off BIG time for them.

As everyone else said, train them separetly, make sure you leave food out of the picture until theyve done what youve asked, take a rolled up newspaper and smack your husband. You sound like your on an excellent start, keep us updated.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln