Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
RedyreRottweilers

The vet I go to, no, it does not depend on the dog.

If you take a dog in, they will film it with no drugs. These people are experts, and that is one of the main reasons I go there. They do films on up to 3 dogs PER DAY. People come from all up and down the east coast to go to this man for OFA films. He and his staff handle SO many dogs, and they are so quick the dog hardly knows what happened and he is done.

When I say they are quick, I mean Milton was not out of my sight for more than 5 minutes to be done, nor was Mike.

OFA films are VERY important for my dogs. I researched, and I NEVER mind driving to this guy.

BTW, if you are on the east coast, this veterinarian is Lee Darch in Wake Forest, NC at North Wake Animal Hospital. Worth the drive from ANYWHERE IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

So you feel that any dog can be held in the needed position for a clear XRay ?? Agree that the vet and the crew makes a difference .....but there are dogs who wouldn't co-operate IMO.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
overdogged

personally, if i wanted accurate films, i'd opt for chemical restraint, regardless of how well behaved the dog is. most dogs are uncomfortable being held on their backs by strangers. i can't blame them. even if they're cooperative, they're probably going to be tense, and especially if they're large, strong dogs, that's going to impact the films.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I have had films done at the above clinic since 1993.

I have never taken a Rottweiler in that could not be done, or who was not done accurately and positioned well, and I have taken NUMEROUS dogs to this clinic.

Lots of other people have dogs done using chemical restraint, which is just fine. As for me, I prefer, as I stated earlier, not to anesthetize my dogs unless it is absolutely necessary.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

^^^ I agree ! That's why I stated that it depends on the dog . Mine have been stitched without sedation too .... only numbing .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I agree too, Grammy. Milton had a toenail appear, growing right out the side of one of his rear legs where a dew claw would normally be. This, after, as a 2 day old puppy, even after careful examination, he appeared to have only one dew claw.

We were able to remove the nail with just a local, and I was so thankful. He came home with a band aid only.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Show Dog

For my OFA's, I have found a local vet who is the "Golden" go to guy in my area. He prefers to do the x-rays with only physical restraint, but 2 years back when I had my Riley done, she became a little fractious with the techs even before she was ever put on the table. They opted to slightly sedate her and that was fine. I prefer no sedation, but the safety of the vet and their personal is more important.

Ruger was done using no sedation, took all of maybe 10 minutes for both elbows and hips, only one tech and the vet, and he came back with OFA prelim hips - EXCELLENT and elbows - NORMAL. I stood in the door way and watch the whole thing and it was no big deal.

I do agree, though, that it does depend on the dog.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown