Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Kela

I would think that if there is no pet store, there has got to be a feed or tractor supply store around! I'm just assuming that you're out in the middle of the country here.

I agree with the Rachel Ray, it isn't the best but it isn't horrid. It has less corn and by product than the Purina One. I bet its overpriced with her name on the bag though!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Generally the 'good foods' are going to be found at local feed supply stores, tractor supply stores and other independant type places--if you would care to divulge your general zip code or area I'm sure some folks on here would be more than happy to try to look up some resources on the internet.

Also if the nearest places with ideal foods are an hour away perhaps you go there every few months or activities or movies or malls etc--and you could pick some up then a few bags even.

I know that if I still lived in the town I grew up in there would be no good options but living in a small town in order to go to a mall or the movies I had to go 45 min to a larger city (which I did at least twice a month)--I could go pick up better food then etc.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Ditto what others said - even if we didn't have a few locally owned pet supply stores that sell great food, I could still get products like Innova through our farm supply stores. I would have never thought to look there, but went in for horse feed and found they carry it.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

I have used purina one in the past and I did like it alot I quit feeding it becasue the stores that carried it didn't always have it in stock when I needed it. UUUUGGGHHHH.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

I would go with Rachel Ray or Purina ONE - they seem to be the most decent out of the bunch...

I don't know where you're located, but do you have a Fleet Farm anywhere near you? Or any kind of a local feed store? Most of those type of stores will sell some higher quality food...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM
<--------Orson

Kyrsqueena, here are a couple links of some dog foods I think are pretty good.

These pages will help you find a place near you to buy it. They are in no particular order of best to least or anything..........just different foods you can look up to see if one is near you

Innova: http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/

Orijen:
http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/

Taste of the Wild:
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/dealer_locator/

Canidae:
http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Solid Gold:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

Chicken Soup for dogs (dry food)
http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...ealer_locator/

There are many many more decent foods out there, these are just a few.............but like I already said, if walmart is your only option, try out the Rachel Ray
Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Another thought for places to get good pet food that you would not think of looking. The local farmers market here carries Flint River Ranch. Another one carries Canidae.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Felurian

Depending on where you are (due to shipping costs), you may be able to actually save some money buying online. There's a place online that I use whenever they have their 20% off sales (which is VERY often - sometimes once a month) and even with shipping it saves me $10 a bag on the large bag of EVO RM. www.petfooddirect.com

Definitely give your farm supply stores a look though. They often carry better stuff at a decent price.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Original Twin

Check for Diamond Naturals at the feed store. It is almost identical to the Chicken Soup and Kirkland Signature from Costco. ( They are all made by Diamond.) It is a decent food and is usually pretty decently priced. I normally see it at around 25ish bucks for a 40 pound bag. Acorrding to feeding guidelines for those foods, a 50 pound dog should be eating 2-3 cups a day, thus a bag should last for at least a month if not two.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Big Dog

Around us, there is a store that sells hunting supplies (including hunting dog supplies) that carries Diamond Naturals. I would also check to see if there is a store like that near you.