Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
He may also be in denial of how bad the dog is because of how old it is. He may think that if he takes it to the vet, the vet will tell him he needs to put the dog down because of it's age and arthritis and he doesn't want to deal with that.

Or it really may just be allergies. You be amazed how bad a dog can look with a skin allergy. At least talk him into switching to an allergen free food for a while and see if that helps any.

This is exactly what i was thinking too. I mean the dog is 14 that is OLD. Especially for most labs these days. Maybe he does know that if the dog goes to the vet it likely won't be coming out. I'm sure he doesn't want to put his dog down. Is he single? If he is then this is probably his only friend. The only thing keeping him sane. Maybe he doesn't want to lose that.

I think everyone else has given you pretty good advice here i hope it helps

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

It could be mange too....I'd get it to a vet ASAP!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Under these circumstances calling authorities will probably end the dogs life. And I for one believe this dog his the right to live his life with your FIL.

That is not to say you shouldn't intervene. First of all, flip the dog over, and see if he has fleas, if he is covered, use some frontline plus on him, but first give him a good bath in some oatmeal and gentle shampoo. Give him a good dose of dewormer, maybe safegard for dogs. If he has fleas, that is probably what is causing hair loss, frontline also kills mites. And give FIL a bottle of linatone plus or equivalent to put on his food.

Since the dog is so old, the best bet would be for a vet examination, underlying health problems could also be the culprit. But if this is not a possible solution for you, then you could at least help the dog with physical effort and products obtainable without a vet. I mean if you come over, bath the dog, and slide some meds on him, he will never even know what you are doing, besides just bathing him.

The vet visit would be best, but if you can't do that, then please try to find a solution that will help the dog, He deserves to live where he knows, and probably loves in the last days of his life. And he also deserves to be comfortable.

Another thing, an asprin a day can help with arthritus, if you do a google search, there are certain kinds that are better for dogs, can't remember.
But I bet your FIL wouldn't object to giving that for arthritus, especially if it came from you or your husband and not a vet.

Please give us an update.

Will be thinking of you all.

Best of Luck,
Julie.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the taking it into your own hands. Don't get the shelter people involved or the dog will be put down. See if he has fleas!!! That might be his only problem!!! If he has fleas, treat it and get him on flea preventative. If he's so skinny, get him some canned food and good nutrients. He doesn't have much time left, anyway, and you're poor FIL knows that and he's probably his only buddy... so sad...
ETA: If he doesn't have fleas, he may have mange and need to go to a vet.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Island dweller

Are you afraid of you FIL? How would he react if you just showed up and bathed the dog or whatever it needs. Would he even notice if you switched food? If you can do that I would. If not I would do it the sneaky way and just take the dog. When it's in better health it can be returned if you think he's capable of taking care of it. it all depends on what kind of alcholic he is.