Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Top Dog

Too bad I don't have a deep freeze, wish I did. I will check out my neighbor today and see if he has any info. for me on some local farmers. I will try giving my dogs the bones with their chicken today. I am nervous because I have always been told to not let dogs have them for choking and obstruction reasons. I guess I can try and see what happens. Its hard to say what they will do with them, gulp or break them up. They are kinda the in between. They haven't had raw chicken yet, I have only been giving them raw for about 6 days now mixed with their other food. lol I bet they will try to carry it off somewhere to eat it. Its hard to say if Bender will gulp but I doubt Sophie will, she has the typical Basset teeth frame and so Bassets eat a little different. Yup for the both of them I have to cut it up and mix it in their food.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

I'm not sure how you look up poultry farms; we just have a big sign on the road near my house that says "Adam's Turkey Farm" and an arrow. You could check the meat at the grocery store and see if any lists a local farm; I had someone tell me about the chicken farm, but I've noticed they sell some stuff at the grocery as well. I plan to visit the turkey farm in late October and find out how I get on the list for the necks/tails. I know people who come home with trash bags full for very cheap!

The person who processes meat may very well have a lot of parts that the person bringing the meat in doesn't want.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

They did o.k. with the chicken and liked it. Bender had a hard time breaking up the bone to eat it but eventually.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.baker View Post
Anything chicken in the stores is around $3 to 4 per pound
I don't spend anywhere NEAR that on chicken! I average $1/lb on their meats. But I get stuff from .50-1.50. Most of the time what I do is I check the local paper for what places are having sales, and I go in and buy enough to fill my fridge freezer(with a small section for my own food! lol). Or sometimes I see the "manager's special" which is half-price because it only has a day or two before they can't sell it, and I buy as much as I can cram in my freezer. You'd be suprised how much you can actually cram in a freezer... sometimes if it's a REALLY good deal I steal freezer space from friends and family! LOLOLOLOL
Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

How big are your dogs? My big dogs get 2 or 3 oz of liver when I feed it and they are 90 and 115lbs. Our small ones get a tiny piece maybe an inch square, and not every day. I will feed it for 4-5 days, then take a week off from it. There's no need to sear it, just give it to them.

If chicken is expensive where you live, look into other sources of food. What do they farm in Michigan- pork, beef, turkeys?

Look for meat that is on clearance and is reduced in price. It's fine for the dogs. I can keep my cost to around a dollar a lb too, buying in bulk and looking for bargains.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Bender is 45 and growing probably up to 75-90lbs. Sophie is 44lbs.

I have had no time today to look into farms or contact my neighbor, I have been so busy today but I have time tomorrow. I bet in MI they farm just about everything, I just need to get talking to find contacts.

I always look for clearance for everything lol. I never buy meet even for my family unless its on clearance.

Sophie hasn't pooped since the chicken I fed her which is weird since she has been on a non stop pooping schedule for months. And Bender had half normal half diarrhea couple few times hes had diarrhea on raw. Sophie has vomited a couple of times since I have introduced raw and a few with the diarrhea. Is this normal when introducing raw? They still have kibble to go along with so its not all raw.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

o.k. Sophie finally pooped! lol I'm just a mama worried about her babies
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

O.k. another question. Do you wash their bowls with each feeding? I usually do it once a day but now with raw added I feel like I need to each time, only takes a couple seconds any ways. They eat twice a day, both pretty active and one of them is growing.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
BusterLove

We rarely wash bowls if at all here.