Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Top Dog

The only time I have ever smacked Lexi was to get her attention when she was trying to get at the kittens.

I don't like aggressive dog training either. And what sucks is the only dog trainer around here uses it. When trying to teach dogs to walk on a leash, she put on a choke collar and said to tug on the leash to tighten the collar and hurt the dog's throat when it wasn't walking properly. I almost cried when I heard my baby scream when this lady choked her. I stopped going to the class. Waste of 100 bucks and unfortunately I still don't have my baby trained cuz I don't really know what I'm doing.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-vie-en-vert View Post

Waste of 100 bucks and unfortunately I still don't have my baby trained cuz I don't really know what I'm doing.
If you do a search here on Chaz, there will be tons of info from other threads on how to train a loose leash heel. That subject is asked all the time.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 PM
I love my Weimaheiny!

As with some other members here, the occasional swat to the butt does happen at this house, but also as others have stated, more for a "startle" effect to get the dog's attention, or accompanying a "no" down to the nanosecond, than anything else. And only with Thor, the APBT. He's (god love him) dumb as a brick, and seemingly deaf, so that's pretty much all that gets his attention half the time.

Never with Slade though. He doesn't need it. You whisper his name, and his attention is on you, so that's that. And, Weims are WAY too sensitive a breed to be messing with tough guy tactics anyway. So you'd fare better to avoid them altogether unless you want a dog that's irreperably shut down.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
- Author Unknown
Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
If you do a search here on Chaz, there will be tons of info from other threads on how to train a loose leash heel. That subject is asked all the time.
Yeah I've searched tons of stuff on here, and its helped. Its just a really slow process with Lex. One day she'll be amazing, and then the next it goes right down the drain. Yet for other things she's perfect. You say "no" once to her (like with the kittens) and she never tries it again. But if you tell her to stay, or heel, pfft, good luck.

Anywho, off topic, i'm stopping now. :P
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Blow. Me. Away.

I do not agree with it when it comes to learning, training, or simple correction.

As far as training or correction for pottying in the house or ripping something up, etc. I use other methods. When it comes to biting a living thing, yes, I have smacked before.