Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Big Dog

Default Get Behind Me

I really want to start teaching my dog to get behind me on command. Is there any standard way to do this?

I will probably start out luring him behind me and practice it a lot. If anyone has any recommendations so I don't create additional issues like butt smelling strangers for treats or something, that'd be great.

We recently had a run in with an off leash dog, and it did not go well AT ALL. He hates to have his collar grabbed so I'd like a way to get him behind me without having to grab him. I am afraid when he's already upset that he would turn his fear aggression on me if I tried to grab his collar.

I think he might respond better to this type of command in an aroused state than he does to sit. As sit was a behavior we actually had to teach him. He only sits on command, on his own he either stands or lays.

Any thoughts would be great, he's about 5 years old and a rescue. (We've had him a year) There is a lot of baggage with him that we are still working through. (We can now leave him alone in the house for 5 minutes! WooHoo!)