Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Manchesters

Default Brushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
I use the rake first on my collie, then a slicker brush. He doesn't really get the chance to develope mats, he's brushed every day (somtimes twice).
The important thing is not what KIND of brush is used, but HOW the dog is brushed. The dog MUST be brushed down to the skin. The only effective way to do this is to lay the dog on its side, and starting at the rear end, use your hand to flatten down the hair toward the head of the dog. Then use a slicker brush preferably, to pull the hair out from under your hand, as you move your hand steadily toward the head kinda inch by inch. This will get all dead hair out of the dog. Of course, since you will be brushing the skin more or less, use a feather light touch with a slicker brush.

This is why I prefer neeeked dogs!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Taco Dog

Manchesters,
I wish I had the ability to explain things as well as you do. I kept wanting to give the exact same reply you gave, but I couldn't think how to put it into words where people would understand. LOL

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Manchester, I am going to try brushing the way you suggested on my husky. Maybe that would do a better job than the wham bam thank-you mam job my husband does on her every night (he will only brush her because she will just lay there and LOVES getting brushed while the others while squirm and wiggle and try to get away).