Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Big Dog

adojrts, in some countries crates aren't as widely used. Where I live crates are fairly uncommon, I have found that probably 99% of dog owners that I've talked to do not crate-train their dogs unless they were going to be really active in dog shows. That could very well be a reason why at least breeders in my country do not crate train puppies.

The first night I had my pup I put the crate besides my bed so he could see me and I could put my fingers in the crate if needed. Took him out twice that night, and once a night for the following month, and hardly ever heard a sound from him. Just the initial crying but it lasted for a few mins before he fell asleep. Later I moved the crate to the other end of my bedroom. All I did to get him used to the crate was I fed his meals in it at first and every time he fell asleep elsewhere I moved him into his crate and let him sleep there. It seemed to work as he learned fairly quickly that his crate is where he is supposed to sleep.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the advice I'll ask the breeder if she has an extra crate to use for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
adojrts, in some countries crates aren't as widely used. Where I live crates are fairly uncommon, I have found that probably 99% of dog owners that I've talked to do not crate-train their dogs unless they were going to be really active in dog shows. That could very well be a reason why at least breeders in my country do not crate train puppies.
Crates are actually quite common here, I just chose not to crate train Regis so I really don't have experience with it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

I would ask the breeder if she could start the puppy. Ivans breeder will stick a crate in the puppy pen for all of the puppies with the door open. And then for short periods of time during the day she will close it. By the time the pups are ready for their new homes they are pretty much crate trained.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Active Pup

I just got a tiny silver teacup toy poodle at 11 weeks, she is a whopping 1 1/4 pounds. She had never been in a crate or away from her litter mates.

I put the crate on my night stand the first night next to my bed and layed down facing her so she could hear me breathing. She went right to sleep and slept about 6 hours.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=Ilyena;1146795]adojrts, in some countries crates aren't as widely used. Where I live crates are fairly uncommon, I have found that probably 99% of dog owners that I've talked to do not crate-train their dogs unless they were going to be really active in dog shows. That could very well be a reason why at least breeders in my country do not crate train puppies.

QUOTE]

I know that crating isn't common in Europe or the U.K, but here in N.A it is.
I personally crate train puppies for many reasons, one of them being that we do compete with our dogs alot.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
RedyreRottweilers

My puppies all knew about crates before they went home. I crated the 3 boyz I kept together for a few weeks, and then separated them out into their own, and never had any issue.

I just assume most breeders introduce their puppies to crates before they leave, maybe they don't?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

I went ahead and emailed her about the crate thing, I haven't gotten a responce yet. I guess not every breeder does it, but boy it would be a good thing if they all did..

RR, or anyone who has advice, what do you put on the bottom of the crate for easy cleaning? I have a big plastic crate. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
RedyreRottweilers

well, I prefer the wire ones, but I put many layers of newspaper down. Then bedding in the back of the crate, and shred paper to go in the front.

Newspaper is easy to shred, it tears nicely in strips from top to bottom. In just a couple minutes you can shred enough to go in the front part.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers View Post
well, I prefer the wire ones, but I put many layers of newspaper down. Then bedding in the back of the crate, and shred paper to go in the front.

Newspaper is easy to shred, it tears nicely in strips from top to bottom. In just a couple minutes you can shred enough to go in the front part.

Alright thanks! I know I need to get a wire one, but I already bought this plastic one, so I'm going to use it and then get rid of it and replace it later on.