Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

She should get better as time goes on. I have noticed their are two types of socialization outside in public and in your own house. So keep those guests coming over and let them know how much they are helping you and your dog out. It is so nice to have friends who will help you out with this.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

Hey Charliedog,
Do you know anything about the parents of this dog? (sorry if you've mentioned this in another thread, I'm not on here that often)
Fear behaviours can be hereditary, and having personal experience working with this type of dog, the fears can be reduced, but they are never fully extinguished. It is a constant management issue with this type of dog, and there are certain days were the fear will crop up again, sometimes for no reason, other times, a small event may spark it. It is good to keep this in mind, so that you are managing the dog correctly.
Does your pup like toys? Can these be used as a reward instead of food? I have used this technique with some good results, because a dog would not take food when it was in a heightened fear response. The dog was food driven, but couldn't focus on the food during a response like this, so a toy (ball) was substitued with better results.
You may also try starting at a distance, instead of having the people so close up. Find out where the comfort zones are for this dog, and start from there. Begin at a distance where she is not reacting, but can see the person. Treats will most likely be accepted from the dog when she is not in a full blown fear reaction, and then, progress from there, gradually working up the distance closer and closer. Always observe her reaction, and if you see her regressing, take her back a step until she is comfortable again. Treat when she sees the person, jackpot for no reation, ingnor, but be mindful of fearful reactions and increase distance if uncomfortable. The point is to eventually desensitize her to people, and have her associate people with treats. Starting at a distance can be easier because she will most likely accept food when the person is far enough away. It may take a while, but this process does work. It will not, however, extinguish the fear completely in a hereditarily fearful animal. Good luck, keep us posted.

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

No, she is a rescue, I have no idea what or who her parents were. She seems to be doing better, in that the more she is exposed to and becomes used to, the less she has a fearful reaction. I'm not sure if it's inherited, or if it's just a lack of socialization.