Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Default I'm playing jump rope with the pup, please help!!!

Hey everyone, lol, first question. I find it funny, yet slightly irritating. Luca has a BIIIIIG attatchment to my legs he WILL not leave them, not a foot distance is aloud, Nothing, he's always under my feet and i always end up kicking him becuase i don't see him. When we go outside, he walks RIGHT at my heels and ends up getting the heel of my boot in his snout a couple times, then he moves and comes up front. i've never had a puppy do this before, i don't knwo if it is' becuase he was so young when he was taken away from mommy or what. He's really curious, if he sees like, a new person or dog or cat he runs away then when they turn around he goes after them. Never had an Alaskan Husky, let alone a Alaskan husky cross, help would be appreciated... This behaviour is definately different to me, but maybe you guys have dealt with something similar?
Old 12-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Puppy Dog

yeah im gonna start doing that. Clumsy puppies are soooo cute!
he sleeps in his kennel in the bedroom with me, I don't want to let him up on the bed just yet incase he falls off and hurts himself. He'd be safer in his kennel for a while, when he get's a bit bigger then he can start snugglin up underneath the blankies and keeping me warm next winter

He's not as bad as he was on Sunday when i brought him home. But sometimes it can get pretty hard. He likes to sit on my lap and watch the words get typed on the screen

oh! and he cries, when i put him in the kennel and walk out of the room for a few minutes. Is that a puppy thing or is it signs of seperation anxiety. I've never crate trained before, and now that i am it seems to be causing me a bunch of problems, i mus tbe doing it wrong, he likes to in there, the doors always open except for at nights and when i go out. But he whines and barks. Is that just becuase he's young and depending on me? Just wnat to make sure, if it's seperation anxiety i'd like to try and cure it while he's still a puppy so i don't have to worry about another situation like with apollo. If i take him with me in the car, to go pick up a friend nad i leave hi min te car while i go up to the door, he's fine. It's only when he's in his kennel
Old 12-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Rest assured Serena, I only did it once with no intention to do it again.

How long is he in his crate and how are you introducing him to it? The crate is an awesome training tool if properly used. Whining and barking are completely normal for a puppy, he is still in unfamiliar surroundings, he needs time to adjust.
He's in his crate for the LONGEST period at night which is roughly 6 hours before i get up to let him outside for a pee, and then maybe another 3 after that so. Rough 9 hours a night. The rest of the day, it's open. He'll go in there to eat, sleep, play with his toys, or if he's afraid of something. He understands the concept that it isn't a scary place to be. If and when i go out socially its for 2 hours at the most, anything more than that, and i usually take him with me. If it's too a friends house, and i have their permission he tags along with me and plays with their cats. lol, his whining an barking is really high pitched but i find that when i do ignore it, he tends to stop after about 15 minutes or so. Normally i won't go back into the room unless he stops crying first. Even if it's just me going to the bathroom, if he's crying when i come downstairs, i'll wait until he's finished before i enter the room. He's understanding the command "Sleep time" I tend to use it when i shut andlock the kennel door at night and he won't do anything. Origionally when i got him at the beginning of the week when i closed the door and turned off the lights he would bark and whine. I put a peice of my clothing that i odn't care to much if it's ruined and he loves it, every morning i find him sleeping on it. He must use it as a security feature. is there anything here im doing wrong? Or anything im not doing at all. I've got all the patience in the world with this little puppy, he's so much easier to train than apollo was lol
Old 12-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Top Dog

I tried crating but it did not worked out. He continously barked and whinned. And most of all he would pee in the crate even if I let him out to pee every 3hours. I wished my dog was crate trained. His so spoiled.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Felurian

Candy, it sure sounds like ONE of you got crate trained!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian