Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Just try me..

I find modeling (thats the term for manipulating the animal) the slowest and least reliable way to teaching things. Its like following someone in a car, you aren't necessarily paying attention to where you are going.

I do other things very different. (I don't lure and train tricks you can't lure or model, I have to capture) and I don't add the cue till the dog does the behaviour (I don't want my dog to ignore cues.) But that aside if it works for you and your dog is happy, that is the main point
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
The sense of touch, is used to both communicate and share information, IMO.
I agree, and I never said that touch is not good.... Touch is great to use to direct dogs where to go, to get attention, to reward, etc. I was just referring to modeling as a training method to teach dogs new behaviors.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy_luv08 View Post
Play dead: This one was a lil' difficult to do at first, Once she/he has lay down good and learnt you can do this one. I make a gun with my hand and say bang bang, and she falls over and lays on her side. They can't be too excited for this one because they have to lay perfectly still, so treats are a MUST. get them to lay down for this one first, then say "bang bang" for the first couple times you mught have to lay them down for them so they can see what you mean. then as soon as they lay on their side say "stay" count to 5 then say "good dog" and give them some treats. Repeat.

LOL! I love this one! One of my mom's old dogs used to do this, and I trained one of my cats to play dead this way, too. It is my favorite method for "play dead".

I've never heard of the "tell a story" one, though. I might have to try that someday. Cute!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Just try me..

bang dead is a really cute one! If you want an 'extra' cuteness factor you can train your dog to 'stick up up'. Dekka does this, she sits up (like begging) and sticks her paws up. Then when I 'shoot' her she falls over dead.

Training 'dead' is good for teaching self control. I had to keep telling Dekka that dead dogs don't wag their tails.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
I had to keep telling Dekka that dead dogs don't wag their tails.
lol! I can imagine

Its interesting how different dogs learn. Buster I can't train with a lure, not if I want anything from him in less that 6 months. If I lure him with food, he's concentrating so hard on the food, he doesn't notice what he's doing.
Same with touching him to move him around, he is concentrating on my hands, not on the action. I like him to use his brain to work out exactly what I'm trying to get from him, it sticks with him better in the long term and he seems more willing, so I have a love affair with my clicker for that reason.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Puppy_luv08

Quote:
Training 'dead' is good for teaching self control. I had to keep telling Dekka that dead dogs don't wag their tails.
haha same with navada, she gets excited that she did it right lol