Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Original Twin

I forgot to add, that when doing the leash method that I am using rewards when she hits it right.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I may be wrong ...( it's been a while ! ) but it seems when they said " Halt " I moved my forward foot back to my other foot , which did put shoulder to my leg .
That can get points taken off for handler error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3Dana View Post
Once you are sure she is doing a tuck sit, I would recommend doing many reps of one-step halt, using food to lure her into exactly the right position. Practicing just that part of the routine over and over again helps a lot as you both get used to the movement and it is the same every time. You should practice until she can do one-step halts with perfect fluidity and no help from the food (but still rewarding every correct halt).
Yup. That helps build muscle memory.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-02-2008, 09:59 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Jenn, I am working on this with my puppies right now. I will see if I can get my hubby to get some video of how I am doing it, both with the puppy who is learning, and with Penny who knows the exercise and how to find heel etc.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Sprayin' the spiders

Thanks for the advice, Red

My trainer was literally pulling on one of my legs during class because I SUCK at walking straight lines. I think walking with a clenched butt (LOL) and sucking in your chest seems to help! (or maybe my dogs are just embarassed and don't want to walk behind??) The lines on our mats the the club really help too.

It's all about practice, practice, practice!

(Hillside, it's on beotch!!!)

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Usually I dont have to remind her. 9 times out of 10 she does sit on her own. We are just starting with this. I dont expect her to be ready for her CD untill next summer. It all takes time. Agility is more our thing. but I would like an CD on her

I just wanted to touch on this one thing.

My instructor always advised me not to train for the mistake! Don't take away the reminders. Remind her EVERY SIT. Help with the leash, help with food, help with smiles and praise.

When I am readying a dog for trial, I work sits and fronts a LOT, with LOTS of rewards, and I try not to allow the dog an opportunity to get it wrong. You are working on building muscle memory, as someone mentioned earlier, so stop putting her in the position of forgetting and making a mistake.

Hope I can get a clip for you so you can see how we do it.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Thanks Red. I am working without a trainer. The closest one is a min 2hr drive. The one I did go to to I only whent to 2 classes. She didnt know alot, was a byb, and used mostly corrections to train.

The video would really help. I cant wait to see it.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Workin' Dog

If you are training alone, I highly recommend Terri Arnold's books, Steppin Up to Success. It's a three book series and incredibly detailed. Terri is the best obedience trainer I have ever seen. And the books are the best training books I've ever seen. I've heard the videos are only so so, but I've never watched them.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

We had the same issue with Daisy. Because she's so large, when she sits, even if her feet were in the right spot at the start, she'd end up too far back. We had to lure her well out in front and then when she sat she'd be in the right spot.