Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I do the same thing, but instead of stepping forward I step backward. It's easiest if you work against a wall at first, of course, and if your dog knows "back" that helps, just take a very small step backward. If your dog doesn't walk backward already, you can just start in heel next to a wall, turn your shoulders into your dog and take a small step backward. If he moves back in any way, he'll probably have to pick his butt up off the ground.
Yea, a lot of good different ways of doing it posted here

The way I posted isn't how I do it with my dogs, but I've done it that way with other people's dogs. I teach it to my dogs by kneeling next to them and gently lifting under their bellies with my left hand while I use a lure in my right hand. I fade the lifting very quickly and then fade the lure and I have a hand signal for stand as a result.

But I hadn't posted that way because the OP didn't want to do it like that

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
overdogged

So, somehow (not exactly sure how), we have had success. I think I have dropped the food lure (or hand target- either works) lower and held it there longer, and that has gotten a stand instead of a bunny hop. Now to solidify it and fade that hand out of the way a bit.

We had to do stands today in our first rally class and I just about panicked! But somehow, when I asked for it, it was there. Miracle!

Thanks to everybody who made suggestions!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Just try me..

I didn't lure it with Kaiden or Dekka. I would teach them to stand by my hand or foot 'helping them' LOL Dekka's stand cue is me lifting my left heel.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
So, somehow (not exactly sure how), we have had success. I think I have dropped the food lure (or hand target- either works) lower and held it there longer, and that has gotten a stand instead of a bunny hop. Now to solidify it and fade that hand out of the way a bit.

We had to do stands today in our first rally class and I just about panicked! But somehow, when I asked for it, it was there. Miracle!

Thanks to everybody who made suggestions!
Just to add to my last post, the way that I use the lure is to pinch it between my palm and thumb in an almost open hand so that I can fade from the 'magnet' with a lure, to the open hand sweep forward (hand signal for stand) without the lure. Like the hand signal for stand in this link but a forward sweep.
http://www.deafdogs.org/training/signs.php#signs (2/3rd's down the page)

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Top Dog

It's been an awful long time since I posted here but as I was checking for PM's I saw this. And couldn't resist!

Not sure if it will work for you, but I've had a lot of success with it, it does produce the preferred style of stand for obedience, the backwards motion where the front feet remain stationary, so the end result is your dog is still in heel position, rather than half a foot in front of your leg.

Does she know how to back up? Very simply I started with using the hand signal (more or less a target at my side), not the verbal cue to back up, and immediately reward marked as soon as the hind end popped up. Most puppies/dogs back up if you put a piece of food right in their nose a push gently back, immediately popping the food in their mouths.

A few steps backwards is okay in the beginning as well. It's teaching them that stand is a backwards motion instead of a forward one, in case you ever get to utility where they have the moving stand.

The signal eventually just turns into your palm moving towards their nose like a button.

It produces a very neat, tidy stand with a smart hand signal.