Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
When you do your stay, how do you do it? Walk backwards away from him, keeping eye contact? Or can you walk away, stop, pretend to take off in a run and have him hold the stay? Can you put him in a stay and run away?
lol non-dog people must think we're crazy when we're training. I find myself regularily in the backyard putting him in a stay than running around with my arms in the air squeeling. Thankfully, his stay is much more solid now.

I swear all dogs love agility, Buster was pretty indifferent to it at first but now it is the only time he gets mouthy (yay, he finally has an issue I feel confident I know the methods to work through lol) He's never ever been mouthy at all, but once again, as soon as we start practicing he can't help himself. He's improving now but I think I might have let it slide too long.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Hmm. I can walk off and not make eye contact with Ozzy at all. I actually did this morning, and walked all the way across a football field with him holding his stay.

I don't know if I could run away from him though...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Just try me..

My fave stay proofing so far was in advanced comp obed class when the instructor brought out a toy UFO flying hovering thing. All the dogs stayed

If when your dog pulls you continue walking.. even one step-that is rewarding. We teach dogs to pull on leashes. You will face an extinction burst by 'changing' your criteria to non pulling.

You need to have very specific criteria, then reward VERY HEAVILY for meeting that criteria. Make choosing the wrong thing difficult. Don't reward pulling EVER.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
BusterLove

That was one of my biggest issues why previous training had failed, my crieteria wasn;t strict enough so we didn't communicate well, it was okay, just a loose leash, okay, only just in front of me and there was no set rule. Now the rule is no further than your shoulder beside my knee or we turn around, anything behind that is okay, anythign in front of that is a no no.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
My fave stay proofing so far was in advanced comp obed class when the instructor brought out a toy UFO flying hovering thing. All the dogs stayed
Mine was when I was at a kennel where there was a "kennel cat" ~ like a barn cat. The cat lived there and was very well acclimated to dogs. We all had our dogs on a stay and the trainer brought the cat in and let it loose. She walked around the room and none of the dogs broke.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team