Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Exclamation Calling All Agility Peeps....help!!

I'm starting a new class format on August 10th with an agility component. I made the mistake of ordering only Pac n' go equipment and now find myself with jumps that I can't use, tunnels and chuts without weights and important items missing.
Also, the Pac n' go stuff is really difficult and time consuming to put together, even with the help of my assistant it takes far too much time.

What I NEED (desperately) is equipment that can be used indoors and outdoors, on both grass and hard surfaces, that's easy to store and easy to put together. Even better, would be equipment that folds down enough so that I can pack it back in my truck at the end of class.

Also, the proper weights for my tunnels and chutes....

Palllllleeeeeease?

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

Which pieces of agility are you looking for?
Clean Run has a really nice jump for folds up, that would work.
Weights can be made by getting the canvas grocrey bags or Walmart bags that are green friendly. Put sand or gravel in other bags and then add them inside the Green friendly bags, either tie or bungee them together over the tunnels.
There was a vender (Canadian company I believe) at the AAC Ontario Regionals that had cheap training tunnels, I'll look and see if I find their info.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

I'm looking for jumps, weights for tunnels, weave, anything that's easy put up/take down (non-competitive classes only, more for fun/confidence building)...and weights (tunnels/chutes) for when I'm not on grass.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM

This is what I purchased and I could kick myself -

The tunnels and chute is great but the second pack...useless..
http://www.pacngorec.com/products/ag...ucts_33211.htm

http://www.pacngorec.com/products/ag...ucts_33311.htm

Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

I can't yet find the vendor info.
I wouldn't recommend weaves, not if you haven't been trained in agility yourself and compete. They take too long to train correctly and they are one of the obstacles that can produce the most stress on the mind and the body.

Curious, just how far do you plan on taking these Fun Agility classes?
Because to be honest, those kind of classes cause more problems for people who may in the future decide to compete.

It's one thing to have a jump or two plus a tunnel for building confidence but it sure changes when its called a Fun Agility class and most of the obstacles are being offered.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I can't yet find the vendor info.
I wouldn't recommend weaves, not if you haven't been trained in agility yourself and compete. They take too long to train correctly and they are one of the obstacles that can produce the most stress on the mind and the body.

Curious, just how far do you plan on taking these Fun Agility classes?
Because to be honest, those kind of classes cause more problems for people who may in the future decide to compete.

It's one thing to have a jump or two plus a tunnel for building confidence but it sure changes when its called a Fun Agility class and most of the obstacles are being offered.
These will always be an introduction/basic level class. I have been involved in agility for many years myself and have hired an instructor who's been teaching agility and who was also one of my students/apprentices. This will be a component of the class but will only be part of the format.

My assistant will be able to take those interested in future more serious agility classes with her to another class.

I have to disagree with you about this type of class causing problems for future agility prospects. I am very careful as to how I undertake any new class format, nothing is done without consideration for every component.
That's exactly why the assistant that I hired for this class is someone who does compete and is very active in teaching...but is also certified and current and teaches more than just agility.

Edited to add - I'm not sure why the addition of weave polls and other components when taught properly would be viewed as problematic.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2little View Post
These will always be an introduction/basic level class. I have been involved in agility for many years myself and have hired an instructor who's been teaching agility and who was also one of my students/apprentices. This will be a component of the class but will only be part of the format.

My assistant will be able to take those interested in future more serious agility classes with her to another class.

I have to disagree with you about this type of class causing problems for future agility prospects. I am very careful as to how I undertake any new class format, nothing is done without consideration for every component.
That's exactly why the assistant that I hired for this class is someone who does compete and is very active in teaching...but is also certified and current and teaches more than just agility.

Edited to add - I'm not sure why the addition of weave polls and other components when taught properly would be viewed as problematic.
If you have been involved in agility and your assistant has also competed then its not a problem. But it is a well known fact that many instructors of obedience etc that have no training or experience in agility can cause problems for those who may want to compete in the future. For the obvious reasons.
Compared to an agility trainer/exhibitor starting classes for Feild Retreivers but they don't have any training or experience within that sport.

That is why I asked you those questions.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
If you have been involved in agility and your assistant has also competed then its not a problem. But it is a well known fact that many instructors of obedience etc that have no training or experience in agility can cause problems for those who may want to compete in the future. For the obvious reasons.
Compared to an agility trainer/exhibitor starting classes for Feild Retreivers but they don't have any training or experience within that sport.

That is why I asked you those questions.
I do know what you mean. I see it the same in reverse. There are a few fantastic agility instructors in our city branching off into behaviour/private training and are clearly not qualified.

Just as I wouldn't have this new gal teaching my GROWL class, I wouldn't hire someone without the proper experience to help with agility.

My experience in agility has been pretty sporadic and it's certainly not my area of expertise. The gal that I hired is an agility junkie and teaches and competes as her primary dog training focus. Her mentor trainer in agility is one of our top agility instructors/judges so I feel pretty lucky to have her.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

It absolutely amazes me that people take money for a field that they are not qualified to teach.
I don't do competitive obedience, when someones calls wanting that I give them names and numbers of those who do and are successful. Same with serious behavioural problems.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM

DONE!!! I found some fantastic equipment and spent a small fortune but I'm THRILLED!!