Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs up Letís send a shelter dog to the White House!

When Barack Obamaís family talked of getting a new dog, nearly 40,000 of you said they should adopt Ė NOT buy Ė their future pooch.

Best Friends Animal Society is continuing the petition through the weekend, so you can still add your name, and pass this e-mail along to a friend or family member, too. Remind them that every year, dogs are still being killed by the millions in shelters while people buy from pet stores and commercial breeders.

See what itís all about at obamafamilydog.com, and sign the petition urging the Obama family to adopt (not buy) a four legged friend this November.

If Sen. Barack Obama becomes president, he'll instantly be faced with decisions that will affect millions of Americans. Obama will also soon be making a decision that could affect millions of American dogs. It has been reported that once the election is over, the Obamas will be looking for a new four-legged family member (much to his daughters' delight).

The American Kennel Club (AKC) has suggested five types of purebred dogs that would fit the Obamas' lifestyle. While the Best Friends Society doesn't disagree that it's important to choose a dog that matches well with the family, mixed breeds should certainly be considered along with pure breeds. Also, whether purebred or mutt, Best Friends Society believes that the Obamas should make a winning choice and adopt a family dog, not buy one.

Whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, left-wing, right-wing or any other wing, please sign the petition urging the Obama Family to adopt, and encourage all your friends and family to sign it, too.

Across the country, in both red states and blue states, millions of dogs are killed each year in America's shelters, in large part because there aren't enough families for them. For a candidate focused on "hope" and "change," adopting a homeless pet is the right choice. Win or lose, this is an opportunity for Obama to effect change on this very important issue.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Prey Drive's a BITCH!

I agree completely.

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

-- Capt. Max von Stephanitz
Old 07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Best Friends Animal Society is very closely affiliated with all the major and some minor Animal Rights organizations.

Obama has a history of voting almost completely in line with the HSUS agenda.

IMO, it is up to the Obama family to decide whether to adopt or buy a dog and I will not support an AR organizations attempt to sway that decision.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Best Friends Animal Society is very closely affiliated with all the major and some minor Animal Rights organizations.
Replace Obama with "Summitview" and you could sum up this entire thread.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:18 PM
*Biter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post

IMO, it is up to the Obama family to decide whether to adopt or buy a dog and I will not support an AR organizations attempt to sway that decision.
Here, here.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 PM
CASSA

I think he needs a APBT hell all the congress need one.
IT will be the only way to educate the idiots writing laws.

But I can tell u if I loved him and he did not have a dog I would not vote for him.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Just try me..

Why should anyone.. have others dictate what pet they will love. That is like sending a petition to say that he should remarry a person from a specific place. If he and his family want to adopt thats great. If they want to go with a good breeder that is also great.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Couch Pototoe City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Why should anyone.. have others dictate what pet they will love. That is like sending a petition to say that he should remarry a person from a specific place. If he and his family want to adopt thats great. If they want to go with a good breeder that is also great.
Yup.. my thoughts exactly..
Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, it is totally the family's decision. But, frankly, I WOULD sign that petition but for the sponsor.

Although there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a good breeder, is Obama becomes the President, his actions will inspire others. Most people don't have any idea how to pick a good breeder, and don't want to bother . . . they'll just pick the same breed as he got. But if he gets a dog from a shelter, it may well convince people to take that route instead of going to a pet store, a mil, or a BYB to get their next pet. So, I WOULD sign . . .except that I will not back an AR organization who will undoubtably be lobbying him throughout his presidency, and may be more than glad to point out repeatedly that they were responsible for his wonderful dog. I know someone closely affliated with his campaign . . . I'll send a letter myself, making it clear why I'm sending it myself.

However, thanks for raising the issue.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Big Dog

Holy cow. The Obamas seem like bright people, certainly bright enough to pick out their own freakin' dog. Choosing a dog is a very personal decision, and Best Friends and the AKC should leave them the heck alone.