Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

I train service dogs, and the majority of the dogs I train are labs or GSDs (or mixes).

I definately agree with the above, that the differences in training are mostly personality differences, and you'll get a GSD who acts more like a lab, and vice-versa. It's like that with any breed. And the training that we do is basically the same for labs and GSDs, but of course we will make slight changes depending on the dogs' personality (use toys more for this dog, petting more for that one, work on some behaviors more than others if they need more practice, etc.).

But, from the dogs I've worked with, it seems that generally labs are much more people oriented. They are happy just to BE with you, and, although toy and treat motivated, will work well for praise and petting. They seem to spend a lot of time figuring out what YOU want.

GSDs, though, are always calculating how to get what THEY want. You have to be much more careful in introducing variable reinforcement, because if they don't think they're going to get their reward, they will quickly stop working. They also get creative in training - you ask them to do the same behavior they just did, and they'll find a new way to do it, particluarly if they thing that new way will get them the reward faster. They tend to be more interested in the environment, particularly things that move.

Of course, this is just what I've experienced, I haven't seen EVERY lab and GSD in the world, and I KNOW there are variations.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Top Dog

Very interesting posts!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

From my experience, and I've had GSD's for almost 30 years, and my sister has had labs for that long,,and having done obed/herd/some fun tracking/mostly agility with my dogs,

No dissrespect, but I kinda disagree that GSD's work for what THEY want..Yes they are calculating, but I find they are "thinkers', and a "problem solving" breed (atleast all the ones I've had and the trained ones I've been around which has been numerous over the years) Yes you will find some "labs" in GSD clothing )) but GSD's are supposed to be an "aloof" breed, which I have also found 90% of mine have been..They tend to not like repetition,,once they know something, they want to move on to something else, repetition is "boring" for them. They also tend to bond to their immediate families and that aloofness falls into play with others..

The labs on the other hand,,(from experiencing my sisters) are more people orientated, smart yes, but also more food motivated (when a lab stops eating somethings wrong)) they are a HAPPY dog..

I could go on and on,,but on training both,,depends on the individual temperament/personality of each
diane