Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Just try me..

Here is my take on training heel (or any other thing actually) Either you train the dog to want to heel for the chance of a reward. Or you train your dog to fear NOT to heel by way of corrections. Both methods you will 'wean off' rewards/aversives but will still need them occasionally. Neither method creates a dog who will never need 'help' again.

At that age most pups will work for praise.. its social interaction, and pups CRAVE that. But while the odd dog will truly work for praise (yet to see it, but have heard about it) most that appear too are aversive trained-and praise becomes a no punishment marker.

Would you work for most of your life for a pat on the back?

I would get your dog into working for food, toys etc. This heel (same vid I always post.. its my only footage of Dekka heeling )was trained with food. Now I can reward every now and then with ball, tug or food. I don't need food on me, nor even near me.

Actually it was training heeling that got me to stop using ANY aversives as even gentle leash pops were making Kaiden's lagging issues worse. (strangely enough when I stopped all aversives his lagging went away)