Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Winonajane

Default laylaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylaloo
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I have a 3 year old yorkie and I have a questions about "dog parks", actually it is more of a concern.
I recently dicovered a dog park by my house, it is a fenced in area, quite large with dog bowls filled with water, and made up mainly of wood chips, not much grass. I brought my dog into the dog park one day last week for the first time because she cannot be let off her leash when we are taking a walk and at the mention of my vet she needs to loose a few pounds so i figured this would be great she will do alot of running and it will help. I brought her maybe 3 or 4 times and only let her go in if there are NO other dogs in there, and she loves it and has since lost 6 oz. Here is where my concern comes in, I heard from my neighbor that he dosent allow his dog in this area because it is so EASY to pick up different diseases and what not, he said if a skunk or racoon were to go in at night and just drool and your dog sniffs it she could catch something. This really concerns me. I pulled a DEER TICK off my dog after returning from the park last week, this was the first time this has EVER happened, we walk through a trail in the woods to get to the park I imagine this is where she picked it up. I use revolution but apparently it dosent stand up to its claims... I have not brought her back since. Does anyone have any advice for me regarding these "dog parks" are they unsafe, even If your dog is up to date on all her shots and heartworm meds and what not? I hate that I cant bring her there, but I refuse to do so If I'm putting her at risk.
Any advice would be really appreciated, anyone with similiar experiences, good or bad, I'm open to all suggestions and advice. Plus I have since added a TICK only collar to my dogs regimen. I'm desperate for advice!
Thanx for listening.
A concerned mommie!
xoxo
I had no fleas on my property for almost 4 years and then I took my dogs to a dog park so they could socalize and run free and this year I am infested with fleas. WJ
Old 11-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Winonajane

Default new to site

I have been reading the messages to try to find someone with my same problem. 134 in dog health has the same thing my dogs have. I also live in Oregon. I'm having trouble finding that post again. If someone could put me in touch with this person I would really appreciate it. I have been searching for weeks and this is the first I have seen my same problem WJ
Old 11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Active Pup

personally, I use my hand to swish out the existing water and rub any slime from the bowl allowing it to refill before I let my dogs drink it, mainly 'cuz I do not know non-dog germs are multipling in there. Other wise I agree with the other posts. If you over protect your kids they are not fortified to face the dirty real world, thus creating sicky kids, if you let 'em play in dirt while the immune is strongest they are better prepared for the real world as are dogs. Flu shots for people are influenza germs thus it vaccinates us. If your dog comes into contact with very small amounts of germs while healthy it may be "vaccinated" against the germ if it does come onto larger quantities of the same germ in later life. Just my redneck approach to both kids and dogs none of which in my home are ever sick short of the kids getting a cold now and then. My dogs only get annual shots and if they get injured do they see a vet, as when the wife's Rotty girl jumped onto and then fell into the top of a GLASS coffee tabletop, That is a mess that set us back plenty of pennies! Keep them vaccinated against the things we can and let them be dogs, yours will stay healthier in the long run IMO. Brent
Old 11-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Active Pup

As for ticks and fleas, I use nothing as far as collars or liquid treatments, lots of garlic in their food for flea prevention and cultural practices in the home. After every walk and visit to the park they get the above mentioned thorough going over. We have much less tick activity in florida than elsewhere in the nation as ticks like a cooler climate and most ticks are brown dog or cat ticks, very few deer ticks and lyme disease is almost non-existent. That is about the only pest problem worse in the north than here Brent
Old 11-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Corgi bum

We have a dog park here in the Portland area where someone had set out poisened meat, and there were many dogs sick, and several even died. That really scared me off from those parks. It's such a shame to, because they are so fun for dogs, and their owners. I just can't fathom how anyone would do something so awful to any animal.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbrent
We have much less tick activity in florida than elsewhere in the nation as ticks like a cooler climate and most ticks are brown dog or cat ticks, very few deer ticks and lyme disease is almost non-existent. That is about the only pest problem worse in the north than here Brent
LOL! I can tell you, Brent, that in the springtime and early summer I sometimes think we have more of a tick farm here in eastern Tennessee than an Angus farm!

Shiva is funny when I pull ticks off of her - she growls at them!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian