Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-07-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Breed specific diets

i am curious as to everyone's opinion of breed specific diets. in terms of commercial diets, is it a marketing scam or is there some basis to this? and homemade diets... i have also read about homemade breed specific diets that are based on the foods that are native to the breed's country or origin. seems a little gimicky to me, any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I know dalmations need a breed specific diet but other then that I have no clue. I don't even remember what it was in their diet that they couldn't eat!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Are you dead yet?

I tend to think it's just a bunch of baloney. Why should a German Shepherd need a different diet than a Labrador?

I've got a 4lb Papillon, a 40lb Border Collie and both of them eat exactly the same thing - and both look and feel wonderful.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
I tend to think it's just a bunch of baloney. Why should a German Shepherd need a different diet than a Labrador?

i kind of feel the same way (about it being baloney)... but then again it is true that a lab needs a diet with enough fat to maintain their particular type of coat, while another dog might do better with less fat in their diet.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypaws
i kind of feel the same way (about it being baloney)... but then again it is true that a lab needs a diet with enough fat to maintain their particular type of coat, while another dog might do better with less fat in their diet.
Shepherds have many joint problems so maybe the specialized diet addresses that a bit more. Labs need more fat for there double coats. Large breed dogs in generally require more glucosamine at least my nutritionalist told me this concerning yuck. She said easy on the calcium and protein but make sure it contains glucosamine. Right now we fed Kirkland Signatures, Chicken & Rice adult, all lifestages to Yuck who is a 5 month old GSD. So far so good.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Quigleyfied

nutrient requirements do differ. the most obvious difference is between large and small breeds, mainly during growth, but also taking things like for example size of the digestive tract in proportion to the body mass into consideration.

skin and coat is another very obvious thing, hair is made up mostly of protein and maintaining/regrowing it does take resources.

there are many other things, but it's more important to feed a dog according to individual needs rather than just generalizing by breed. all the "breed specific" foods i've researched are made by mass market manufacturers that don't use really high quality ingredients anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!