Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Felurian

Can you put him on his leash, walk him out the front door, stroll around a bit, then try to go into the back yard through the gate?

Remember, baby steps. Don't try to force him. Lure him out, little by little. Let him sit just inside the door while you sit outside the door until he decides to come out with you. Give him a treat, but don't make it a big deal. When he wants to go back in, let him.

Next time, sit a little farther away from the door. Same drill.

Just keep it calm and ordinary

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Felurian

You'll get more good responses here in the training forum, where our knowledgeable trainers hang out

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Love my pets

I agree about going outside with some treats. I would lay down on the ground with some treats near you and let him slowly come to you on his own.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

At first I wondered if it might be a bee sting, too. Or something he smelled. I've even heard of shelter dogs reacting to the smell of alcohol in their new home because they lived with somone previously who became "unstable" when they drank.

Did you resolve the car issue?

Hard to know everything without seeing the dog's behavior and how you are interacting with him, in person.

As long as the dog is otherwise healthy, I would do your best to move on from the moment by how you behave around him. Dogs know when we're nervous or tense. Talking in a high-pitched voice, standing stiff, moving quickly, or looking at the dog can add to the problem, IMO.

A dog must feel safe with you and in your decisions. This is a biggie.

Fears can be helped by getting him into another frame of mind. Having another dog around, who is not afraid, can be helpful. Tapping into his prey drive via sight stimulation might be another way to go. Treats are helpful as are treat hunting games. Don't push the treats on him if he's not interested, though.

Can you handle him on leash? Do you walk him regularly?

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Active Pup

Well I have taken your advice, and he is getting better. During the day he bolts outside to play. I have started giving him his favorite treat (raw carrots) only outside now. I also started feeding him outside, and he is happy to go. Now it is only after dark that he doesn't like to go out. So What I have been doing is opening the door and running into the yard, and he runs right next to me. Once outside I give him his baby carrots, and he seems ok. I will just keep working.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Well done! Sounds like you are right on track.
I am very glad you did not take the advice of pulling him outside!