Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

LMAO, nolu.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Ok, nowhere did I say it made anyone a bad owner if they didn't research before.. just an uneducated one. We've all been there.. we weren't just born with all of this knowledge. We had to go out and educate ourselves which has been my whole point.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cider's from Petland. I consider her my rescue, but feel blame in not pushing harder for a breeder. I knew dogs came from newspapers and petstores and the pound.. but had the underlying thought that there was something bad about petstores but didn't know what. I voiced that part but was shushed as a breeder would take time and the roomie wanted a puppy now..

Cider's temperament is screwy. She's a little volatile. I love her regardless, but she's hard to handle. If I'd given up and I almost did along the way I think she'd have been bounced from home to home and possibly pts because she was destructo even with containment, watching and exercise.

I learned though. Before she was mine I started visiting forums. And Smudge is pretty darn perfect. Likes to bark, but overall he's pretty easy to live with makes me want a third.

Sadly, Cider's behavioural issues mean I likely don't want to rescue again as it's been a long road and I'm still tired. I keep waiting for a health issue to crop up, but thankfully on that front it's been good, she has been healthy her whole life (so far).

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Buzz is from a BYB. He has allergies. He's had a few lumps but he's got good structure and an unbeatable temperament (incorrect for a springer, but I adore him). He really is a good dog overall, but he's from a bad breeder.

Bailey is from a 'better' breeder but she's had far more issues than him!

I'm even stricter about the breeders I would buy from now than I was before.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, as previous discussions have pointed out, there's a huge range of people included in BYBs, so I will confine my remarks to the scary kind and puppy mills . . . especially puppy mills.

There's the where is your money going issue . . . to me, that's a big one. These people are in it for the money . . . no money, no breeder.

Dogs from puppy mills in particular (and the worst sort of BYB) are often deeply strange, because NO attention what-so-ever has been paid to temperment, etc. (Indeed, if they have been kept in cages their whole lives, their temperment would be indecipherable).

Rescues have two virtues. One, your money is going to help other animals. Two, most rescues are older animals. You can check them out, ask about their issues, where they came from, etc. In other words, you can check them out before you buy them, something you really can't do with a little puppy (you can check their background, but not the animal themselves). Honestly, if it wasn't for the "good deed" aspect, I would tell people NEVER to get a little puppy from a shelter, because then you really are shooting in the dark, often completely. As it is, I warn people, "I hope you are prepared for surprises."

Not all puppy mill dogs and dogs from scary BYBs are bad. Many turn out just fine. But why take the risk AND give your money to someone who shouldn't be in the business? It doesn't make sense.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com