Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
swimming upstream

Erin you are awesome!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Let it be

Thought I'd add even Miley, my small dog who LOVES kids (she ignores everything on walks except kids, she has to go see the kids to get rubs from them and so she can lick their little fingers) nipped A LOT when I got her. More so then the Border Collies. It's just a pup being a pup. Not saying you have to tolerate it but it is something that comes along with puppyhood.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

I'd also suggest getting a book about adopting a dog, or even googling it. To me, a dog in the shelter who jumps on me, for example, is not always bad, many times it just means the dog is very people-oriented and happy to see you. That's just one of dozens of things you have to take into consideration when you're looking for a dog to rescue (and of course it's the same if you get a dog from a breeder, the difference there is that the breeder knows a lot more about the dog's background than a shelter worker!).

And I never suggest getting a puppy if your household has a child under the age of 5. And even then it depends a lot on the child whether the household can handle a puppy.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Big Dog

I don't mind correcting behaviors like jumping but what I was trying to get at is the dogs seem to be fine with adults (for example, not jumping or biting at our clothes) but they jump at kids and tug at their shirts. So they must realize they are not adults even at the young age of 2 or 3 months.
I would prefer to get a puppy that is around 6 months old so that they are still young but aren't babies. I realize that owner turn ins that are 6 months old most likely were surrendered because the cuteness wore off and they have little or no training. But if I can see potential then it is a workable situation. My cousin has an 8 month old puppy that is wild as can be but you can see her potential. When we go to visit we try to show her how to channel her energy and we taught her to retrieve a ball and bring it back to us, to sit with a hand signal, and to lie down with a hand signal. We were only there for the weekend and my cousin says she is teaching the new things now. The dog is very jumpy and in your face but they allow that (and encourage it). In the back of my mind this is the dog I am looking for, a trainable pup. If it turns out to be older that is fine too, I'm trying to keep an open mind on age and looks and focus on personality/temperament. I'm really glad we went on this trial run, it taught me a lot about myself and made me able to realize what it is I am actually looking for in a dog.