Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

What's the 1,2,3 game?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
CEO of the Candy Cult

For agility I taught Bear to be released on command. It seems simple, we worked on it for a good startline stay and then a quick fast release.

I set her up in a sit and tell her to stay. To make sure she doesnt move when I throw the toy, I hold her collar, then I throw the toy. After a few seconds when she is REALLY focused on the toy, I release with a "go".

After awhile I really test her ability to stay on command, I throw the toy, and creep up to it, like I am going to steal it from her. She gets really tempted to get the toy, and finally I release her to get the toy. Afterwards I sometimes play tug with her.

Her drive has really kicked up a notch since I started to play this game with her.

She gets really amped when I tell her she cant have her toy, and I creep to get it, which tempts her to break her stay. Sometimes she does, in which case I just go get the toy, and put her back in a stay and start over.

We are just starting to bring that into contact/agility training. But even without agility, its still lots of fun, and helps with stays. Bear will now stay in most situations. She still breaks sometimes, but we are working on it.

Diane

Elusive Psychotic Thrill "Rush" -22 month old Border Collie-

Diane's Fuzzy Wuzzy "Honey Bear" -6 year old mix-
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Crazy Dog!

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Brandi Jacques version of the 1 2 3 game is:

Quote:
1-2-3 game ***8211; ask your dog to sit. Hold on to a toy your dog loves (or a cookie)***8230; Move a few steps ahead of your dog facing the same direction as the dog. Look over your shoulder toward your dog, but be ready to run forward. Say your dog***8217;s release word (e.g. OK! Or Break!) in a happy, excited voice and then RUN AWAY from your dog!! When your dog catches you, reward***8230; This game is teaching the dog to control himself and hold the sit, and then to chase you down when you give the release word. TIP: do not move when you say the release word. But then, RUN! (more to come***8230; namely the 1-2-3 part!)
We took classes with her last summer, and a lot of it was going back to the basics. Was really helpful actually.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground