Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Active Pup

Default skreechy bark

hi all
i am new to these forums and am hoping for some suggestions with this problem. i have a 3 yr old maltipoo who gets very upset when i leave the house, stop for gas ect. the second i turn off the ignition he begins this loud, ear piercing bark and i haven't been able to stop this. when i am getting ready to leave the house he focuses on me and becomes anxious and then barks loudly when i head out the door. i would appreciate any help with this . he is otherwise a sweet, loving dog but this is very nerve racking to me thank you dogs4u2
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Walks into Mordor

To me, it sounds like seperation anxiety. That's what happens when a dog is so dependant on its owner that it basically has a panic attack whenever left alone.

Try making leaving fun for your puppy. Give him an extra-yummy treat (like a hollow toy stuffed with peanut butter) whenever you're gone. And don't make a fuss about leaving. Just go ahead and leave. The more you get your dog worked up, the more anxious he'll become.

Also, try to encourage a little bit of independence in your pup. From your description, he seems to be with you quite a lot. You need to teach him that being away from you isn't the end of the world. Does he sleep in your bed or in your bedroom at night? Try moving him to the floor or to another room.

Try looking up "seperation anxiety" online. You'll find a lot of great info.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Original Twin

He also probably cues on any of your departure rituals too. Take note of WHAT you do before you leave the house and start doing it all the time when you ARE NOT leaving. EG: If you pick up your car keys right before you leave, pick them up jingle them around, put them back down or in your pocket. Desensitize him to those rituals. Put on your jacket and sit down on the couch.