Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-01-2005, 01:49 PM
stirder

in my experience a lot of boarders dont have anywhere near enough stallion experience to even consider trying to lead one around, let alone fully provide for it. in most cases a boarder/trainer SHOULD have enough horse experience to be able to care for a stallion, but they also have to consider the fact that most of them have hired help who may not have any horse sense. their jobs may be to feed, water and clean stalls and nothing more. due to the fact that in general stallions are more testy they would not want to risk their help getting hurt and sueing them. not saying a gelding or a mare couldnt be even more dangerous than a stallion, I've met some very nasty geldings and mares, but stallions are a higher risk. if for no other reason than the general public sees them that way. like with dogs, if you have a pit bull the public is a lot more likely to believe it hurt someone and is viscious than if you have a lab. in most cases it is unfair, but its a risk many boarders wont take. it may even be written in their insurance policy (as a boarding/training facility) that stallions are not covered.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM
yuckaduck

Actually our insurance policy does cover stallions and also covers any damage done by them whether to a person or property. I have placed a sign on his door though no one is to touch because he is a bit of a handful. Not nearly as bad as described though. He will only have turn out on his own when everyone else is in just to be safer at least for now. I also have no hired hands it is myself and my husband. My husband is a learning man so he will not go near any horses unless okayed by me. I will have a padlock on the stall door though because I have little kids that come for lessons and I refuse to risk any dangerous situations to them. See you must have experience and common sense to deal with stallions. I believe I have this so for me there is no big deal boarding stallions or working with them. However this does not mean I will never be injured because that can happen to anyone at any given time with any given animal. For an inexperience horse person and even some who call themselves proffessionals, a stallion is not a good choice. Geldings are the safest, mares a close second. I only place mares second due to the fact that some can get down right miserable when they are in heat.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:17 PM
stirder

yes mares can be pretty mean, just like women (just kidding ladies). I agree totally, I have handled stallions and trust myself enough to try, and to give up if they are beyond my experience/talents whatever you want to call it. a lot of boarders do have hired help though, and wether it is fair or not, they almost certainly have a good reason for not allowing stallions. Im sure there are other boarders around though, surely you can find one who will allow one.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
yuckaduck

I think if a stable does not allow stallions that is fair, actually it is good common sense to be safe and no your limits. Better safe than sorry is the old saying. Can't blame someone for that. I have turned a stallion away before because as mentioned I have kids who come and take lessons here so I must put their safety first. I was asked to board one that had been abused and never ever got out of his stall. I just don't have that kind of spare time to deal with those kinds of problems. She ended up selling him for meat and tried to make me feel guilty later well she should have cared for him properly.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Mare owners also aren't happy when their mares are in heat 24/7 because there is a stud making funny noises all the time LOL

Trust me. We boarded a stud here one time.....my mares where in heat the WHOLE time he was here. I had to tell her to get him out because he was disrupting my training and such. He wasn't bad, or destructive, but every time he whinnied, the mares KNEW he was a "boy"

It was SO annoying.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:02 PM
yuckaduck

My four stallions don't disrupt anything and the mares go through their normal cycle. I think maybe the mares were not trained properly because mares don't usually stay in heat 24/7, unless I was just lucky with mine because none of them do that. I own 12 horses and there are 19 on the property including my 4 stallions.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
My four stallions don't disrupt anything and the mares go through their normal cycle. I think maybe the mares were not trained properly because mares don't usually stay in heat 24/7, unless I was just lucky with mine because none of them do that. I own 12 horses and there are 19 on the property including my 4 stallions.
Well, when you figure out how to "train" a mare's heat cycle, you let me know.

Mares can also have fake heats, which was the case in my barn. Some of the mares it didn't bother, but others were BAD.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:59 PM
yuckaduck

Not going to argue but none of the mares in my barn do that. Maybe it is because the stallions are well trained and have excellent manners. We will see now that I have a new boarder because he is a whinnier, and he kicks at his stall door everytime another horse walks by. That I am not use to because my boys don't do that. This boy has some learning to do and I have no doubt he will be much better after sometime is spent with him. Will be interesting to see if any of the mares do as you suggestted with him fussing because they to are not use to that type of behaviour. I can't see a mare not having a false heat I've heard it before so I'm not calling you a liar or anything, just have not YET had that problem here. I do know of a breeding stable here who has seperated barns and houses stallions only in a stallion barn, but they also have masturbation problems with there stallions. Breeding is their business so they do a whole lot more then my 30-40 mares a year and this year I bred 22 mares altogether. So I am not big time and all of those mares were not mine. I did not rebreed any of mine because I have too many foals left from this year and a few yearlings left over from last year. No point in continuing to breed better off to do some training with what I have. Ya my stallions masterbate or hit themselves in the belly but for what I do it makes no difference I have no problems breeding and having the mares catch so I don't fix what ain't broke.
Of course if the mares here start to become goofy's then there will be some serious training put in on them because they too need to learn good manners just like the new man, and he is lacking them for sure.