Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Red, i just wanted to mention....

Maggie is a very, very, very timid dog. It took her a while to get comfortable around Beth and she was, for a pretty long time, afraid of Justin as well. That's why they don't want to reprimand her too loudly or anything yet.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladymacbeth View Post
I have to learn to teach her tricks. Then I can do the NILIF thing. That's the only thing keeping me from that, I have no clue how to teach tricks.
You have to teach tricks to do NILIF? NILIF means Nothing In Life is Free, it means that your dog has to work for anything you give her. It doesn't necessarily mean that she has to do a behavior that you've taught, it could be that she keeps four feet on the floor instead of jumping, or she's quiet instead of barking. You said she's good at sit - you can use that, just wait until she sits before giving her what she wants.

Check out this website:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

If you need help on teaching a bunch of different commands/tricks you can PM me or maybe make a thread with a list of tricks you'd like to know how to teach and I'm sure we can all help you out. Also the book "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller goes over how to train a bunch of tricks (it's using clicker training but you can alter it to be without the clicker, I swear though that that book really makes you want to clicker train).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
You have to teach tricks to do NILIF? NILIF means Nothing In Life is Free, it means that your dog has to work for anything you give her. It doesn't necessarily mean that she has to do a behavior that you've taught, it could be that she keeps four feet on the floor instead of jumping, or she's quiet instead of barking. You said she's good at sit - you can use that, just wait until she sits before giving her what she wants.

Check out this website:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
Oh I see. Well I sort of do that already for a lot of things then. She has to sit before she goes outside (now getting her to sit calmly is another story ) Going outside is her favorite thing in the whole world. I've been making her sit before I give her attention on the couch now and she's stopped walking on us.

I do want to teach her tricks though. She's so smart and if I could teach her tricks, and then have her do tricks for Justin... it might strengthen their bond maybe.

I did teach her "down" today I think... well actually it seemed like she already knew it. Someone must have taught her that already. I wonder if there's anything else she knows? Hmmm.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Red, i just wanted to mention....

Maggie is a very, very, very timid dog. It took her a while to get comfortable around Beth and she was, for a pretty long time, afraid of Justin as well. That's why they don't want to reprimand her too loudly or anything yet.
This is good information to know, however, what she is now describing does not sound like a timid puppy.

I did not intend for my post to intend any indication to REPRIMAND a puppy during any training.

I DID intend it to mean that one must expect certain behaviors from puppies, and REWARD them for presenting these behaviors.

Other behaviors that are not desireable should be prevented, or interrupted, and then the puppy distracted to do something else.

Like stay on a mat.

Sorry if my post was confusing, I do not as a rule use force or reprimand as training methods. I do, however, often present a forceful yet POSITIVE leader figure to a puppy, and I do (positively) demand certain things.