Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
EXactly, an update on Harry. His barking has dropped massivley, he's learned to LOOK before he barks, even if the collar isn't on. If it is on, it has just generally slipped around the side of his neck most of the time so it doesn't even do anything.
This morning we've had dogs, people and the mailman go past and not a sound. So ofcourse he gets much praise after each one passes.
Thats GREAT!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Kaiden screamed on 1. He found it very scary.
Woah, my chihuahua has a higher pain tolerance than a jack russell terrier. Interesting... lol.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Workin' Dog

Quote:
I'm glad it worked for you but to me it's the same as smacking your dog, collar correcting your dog, scruffing her, grabbing and holding her muzzle etc. This one just does not involve you touching her, you can do it from a distance. It may not seem like it hurts but it does enough to make her stop.
When driving my sister's SUV, a single window opened causes a strange vibration in my ears. Two windows somehow evens out the wind flow and the effect disappears. If someone puts a single window down, I literally start to freak out. There is nothing painful about the vibration, nor am I scared, but I absolutely can't stand that feeling in my ears.

Now, I am not going to say that the bark collar hurts or doesn't hurt a dog. But, I think there are aversives that are not painful. The citronella collars are a great example. They do work for some dogs (til they break), but I'm pretty sure they don't cause pain to any dogs.

FYI- I recommended the citronella collars to clients for a few months many years back, but almost every single one broke within a few months, they weren't particularly effective for bigger, tougher dogs and they were much more expensive than bark collars.

I agree with the poster who warns against bark collars that go off when dogs put their heads down or bump the collar against something. Or, even worse, collars that are noise activated and go off when a different dog barks - totally abusive and not effective.

I have never had problems with my tri-tronics bark collar. I kept it on my old dog religiously when he was young and riding around in my truck with me as a youngster (at a very low level). Even now he is quiet and well-behaved in the car but will bark if someone comes close enough. The bark collar did not eliminate the barking at the very low level, but it discouraged nuisance barking, which was my goal.

If you are going to buy any collar that shocks, don't buy the cheapest one- buy a good quality collar that is reliable, trustworthy and comes with very low settings that you do not find painful on your hand. Better to start off with too low a level than to scare the heck out of your dog with a collar that is too strong for him.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I have nothing to add except for the fact that my ears do the same thing in my mothers car, and friends truck. Its really annoying, and can be painful if someone else doesn't open a window. Mostly in my mothers car its the sun roof though...
Old 04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
Woah, my chihuahua has a higher pain tolerance than a jack russell terrier. Interesting... lol.
I said he found it very scary. He can handle pain very well, just not getting scared. (the big baby)