Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Actually, when I asked about feeding EVO and/or raw I was told to wait on both accounts until Bella had matured more. Soon after she hit a year and had the bulk of her muscle, we switched her to EVO.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Twin 2.0

I think Natura is actually in the process of taking a long, hard look at their bags in relation to what sizes/ages should actually be eating which formula...
Old 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Thank you all for the information! This has really been a big help!

The shelter we adopted Morgan from guess-timated that he would weigh in about 65-75lbs full grown. I personally don't think he's going to get -quite- that big, but better safe than sorry always! Sounds like I'll be waiting another year or so before I make the decision on EVO.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Big Dog

The calcium to phosphorus ratio is very relevant to growing puppies, particularly so for large breeds, but so is the overall calcium content in the food. So, while a food's ca to ph ratio may be appropriate, the overall calcium amounts may not be. If a food has a 1.3:1 ratio, that would be appropriate, but not if the calcium level is over 1.5%, depending on the caloric density. For example, the food that we make has a 1.3:1 ratio, but, the overall calcium amount is 1.92%. Now, we'll get a bit technical and say that this calcium level is on the higher end of the scale for what's acceptable for puppies, and higher than what I'd feel comfortable feeding a large breed pup, but the food is considered appropriate for all life stages and due to the caloric density of the food, it is not completely inappropriate considering the calcium needs of puppies based upon calories consumed.

A food is considered ALS if it meets all minimum nutrient requirements for puppies and adults according to AAFCO's recommendations. This does not mean a food is ideal for puppies, it simply means it meats nutrient minimums.