Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up

Will definitely let you know how it's going. Today was pretty good after the patio accident.

Zack was so funny with the bells. After he went potty, we came in and I dried his feet/belly and then he sat in front of the door and rang the bells...I opened the door and he just looked out, so I closed the door. He rang the bells again, and again I opened the door and he just looked out. This happened a couple more times until he decided to go out. I think he got the bell ringing thing down.

He's still not to be trusted in the house alone, so like the vet said...he's getting crated when we're not directly with him.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Show Dog

Heh,figures. I took my puppy out on a two hour walk so he could go potty,he didn't go at all because he was too busy exploring,then when he came back he went on the carpet.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Alpha Dog

yeah.... sometimes pups are just hardheaded
Old 01-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Show Dog

Mmmm-hmmm (:
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Felurian

I feel your frustration! Our first Fila, and my German Shepherds, spoiled me. None of them had to be housetrained! It was wonderful! Shiva, however, was a different matter . . .

It took a lot of patience (on my part, Charlie doesn't have much), watching her with an eagle eye for signs of squatting (like your Zack, Shiva would just squat and pee with no warning), quickly scooting her outside, scolding when she didn't make it (Charlie's job), and praising her lavishly with hugs and baby talk when she did her 'thing" outside. We had to leave her in the laundry room at night, since it's a small area and most dogs don't want to soil their own areas. I think that was the single most helpful thing we did, as it seems to have helped her develop more bladder control. Some dogs develop bladder control and capacity more slowly than others.

Good luck, with patience and perserverance Zack will get it before you are ready to check yourself in to the psyche ward. Keep saving your newspapers to soak up the accidents. Do be sure to clean Zack's spots with a citrus or non-ammonia cleaner so he won't have the smell to go back to and repeat the offense. If you mop up the spots with ammonia it will enhance the ammonia in the urine and he'll think he's supposed to go there. Oh, watch his reaction to the bells. Some dogs really respond well to them, but other dogs don't like them, especially if the tone of the bells is too high pitched; it hurts their ears. You just have to watch and see how your dog reacts to the sound.

Med student on top of all your other jobs! You're a brave woman. Best of luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Active Pup

Thanks, once again, everyone! Well, Zack seems to like the bells. Either he likes the sound or he likes to play with the knots at the end of the rope. They are the large bells and have a deep sound. I can see why some bells would scare a pup. We just put two on the rope. It's not so loud that way, but we can hear it through the house. Anyway, when he sits in front of the door and plays with the bells, we open the door...he looks out, but doesn't go. Then we close it. He does it again and we open the door again. Too funny to watch! He has figured out that the great outdoors is better than the kennel, and enjoys terrorizing the cat.

He has really taken to the covered porch, but does his "duty" in his spot...not really where I would have chosen, but where the family ended up taking him. So, once they've picked a place, is it pretty easy to get them to go somewhere else? Is there just no satisfying this dog owner??

Our relationship has become much better since we've kept to the crate. No accidents, we carry him to the door. In fact, he can actually whine to go potty and make it to the outside before he has to go. He has been holding it most of the night now. Only wakes once, maybe twice if he drinks alot before bed. We keep his kennel next to our bed for now.

Crate training seems to be the way to do it!

Desi
Old 01-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Felurian

Glad to hear you're getting a break. I re-read one of your earlier posts in this thread; you mentioned Zack peeing on the porch. That will probably change as he gets older, too. Shiva was really bad about just taking a couple of steps off the front stoop and squatting right in the middle of the walk for several months, but she's now to the point where she does go out further into the yard. Now, if Bimmer can just get her to pick up his habit of going out in the bushes or the pasture I'll be thrilled. A 100+ pound 6 month old puppy leaves some BIG piles! My German Shepherds have spoiled me; they've all preferred to go in the bushes as far away from the house - and where we walk - as possible. I don't know if it's a peculiarity of the breed or not, but it's much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Active Pup

Renee - what kind of dog is Shiva? I think I missed that one. I had to laugh at the "big piles" because Zack is "mostly" my 7 year old daughter's dog. She has insisted that she be the one to pick up the yard after him. Well, his piles are getting bigger along with him. She's not as eager to run out with the grocery bag!!

Zack has also figured out that if he makes noise in the kennel he gets to go out. It is SO HARD to determine whether he is "faking" or not. He's actually been out and hanging around with us most of the day, and went to the door. We let him out and he went. He didn't bother with the bells that time.

Good luck with that 6 month old giant!! Sounds to me like your German Shepherds are awesome! I think dogs are pretty cool. Even better when they're trained!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Felurian

Desi, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I missed this one! Shiva's a Fila Brasileiro. The immediate front yard looks like a minefield, between her and the pet bull calf I'm bottle feeding. Thank goodness Bimmer goes off in seclusion to do his business.

Instead of bagging the piles, have you thought about getting one of those dog pile composters that you sink down in the ground? They have a lid that fits down "flush" with the ground and you just take the lid off and drop the business down inside. It just allows it to break down and the nutrients leach back into the soil. No more "goody bags!"