Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Squishy face

Default How to fix the chronic barker?

I thought it might be beneficial to have a thread discussing different methods of modifying chronic barking behavior. Barking is a self-rewarding behavior, so it can be very hard to fix. For those of you with experience, what are your methods?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Stuff his face with hot dogs!

No seriously, it works. Oz used to bark at everything outside the back door. (Doesn't help that we have French glass doors. ) But I would throw him a piece of hot dog, and it would distract him from barking at the door. After a while, he would bark once and come and sit near me to get his treat.

That was a long time ago, he was probably four months old or so, so I know I'm probably forgetting something. I just made it more rewarding to NOT bark, than to bark. Now if he barks at the door, I know something is wrong or out there that shouldn't be.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
RedyreRottweilers

The first thing I would try to address in a chronic barking dog's life is the level of boredom. Busy dogs often don't bark as much.

Conflicting behaviors often work, (such as stuffing the face with hotdogs... )

along with others such as playing a game of tug, or calling the dog to you for an ear scratch/belly rub, and a cookie.

Higher levels of exercise, along with mental stimulation with obedience or other classes in training can help. Tired dogs who have lots of new learning to think about don't have as much time for recreational barking.

Judicious confinement of the dog when you cannot be around to provide interruption and redirection of the behavior would also be recommended.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
treehugging clicker freak

First off, I agree with Red. . .
Personally? The first thing I look at is Exercise, exercise, exercise
After exercise, there's training. I find distractions and conflicting behaviors to be very beneficial for barkers. Not too many dogs can continue barking repetitiously when doing puppy push-ups
I like teach "speak", and then "quiet" - the dogs I've worked with tend to catch on to the quiet command that way

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
First off, I agree with Red. . .
Personally? The first thing I look at is Exercise, exercise, exercise
After exercise, there's training. I find distractions and conflicting behaviors to be very beneficial for barkers. Not too many dogs can continue barking repetitiously when doing puppy push-ups
I like teach "speak", and then "quiet" - the dogs I've worked with tend to catch on to the quiet command that way
I am going home for the summer... and I am going to try and work on the barking issue with my Parents dogs because they are teaching Armani bad behaviors.

Could you tell me what "puppy push ups" are?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I was in a puppy training class with Maddie when the trainer told us try and do puppy push ups for distractions / to focus on you. Its basically sit-down, sit-down, sit-down, ect...
It actually can be challenging for some dogs because some don't know how to sit from a down, and need to be taught

I think someone once told me that dogs who are laying down can't physically bark... so just put them in a down stay yea, that definitely did not work, but puppy push-ups worked for our class at least. lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

HAHA. Ozzy can bark upside down, so I don't even see that working, lol.

I use the push ups when we are working in a higher distraction environment, it gives him something he knows how to do, and keeps his focus on me, and earning his reward.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Yorkie Love

How do you teach getting into a sit from a down?

Elle is great with sit and down but once shes down... she stays down forever Her Down stay is amazing but to get her up I have to literally pick her up.