Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Squishy22

Exclamation Results of a shock collar on my chihuahua

So, the other day I bought a shock collar from walmart for Pebbs, my chihuahua. She has a HUGE barking problem, and I have a 5 month old, so that doesnt mix well when my baby girl is trying to get nappy time.

The collar is remote controlled and it has 5 settings. I do not believe in putting your dog through something without putting yourself through it first. So I used the collar on myself on EVERY setting. So did my mom and my fiance.

On the 1st setting I barely even noticed the shock. The 5th setting was very noticeable, but I was surprised that it wasn't really "painful". It was more of scare than anything. It tenses your muscles like a muscle stimulator.

So I put it on Pebbs and she did nothing on the 1st setting, so I pushed it up to 1.5. Even on that setting you can barely even tell if she can feel it. Her hair just stands on end for a sec. like shes been spooked.

Its been 3 days, and I have only had to use it TWICE. Thats it. She caught on QUICK. She is bark free. Sometimes I have to beep it to warn her, but after she hears that beep, she shuts right up.

The product is AMAZING. Better than I ever thought. I love the thing. And to be truthful, being sprayed in the face with lemon juice from a spray collar is way harsher that a shock collar.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

Hey!

I am happy to hear its working for you!

-Ali
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad it's working for you, but if you're going to use an electric collar for a barking problem, it's really more effective to get a "bark collar" - these automatically go off whenever your dog barks, so the punishment is immediate. With the remote collars, sometimes you have to fumble for the remote or other things happen that delay the punishment, making the punishment not as effective for the barking, as well as punishing your dog for doing some other behavior that is not necessarily bad.

But an electric collar is ALWAYS ALWAYS a last resort - after you've consulted with a professional trainer/behaviorist.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Just try me..

I am glad you got one with low settings. All the e collars I used hurt like %$$#@ after level 3. I agree with lizzy. I know of a few dogs who were made worse (it scared them)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad it worked for you but to me it's the same as smacking your dog, collar correcting your dog, scruffing her, grabbing and holding her muzzle etc. This one just does not involve you touching her, you can do it from a distance. It may not seem like it hurts but it does enough to make her stop.

I understand the want for instant results but it's just something I'm against. Hopefully you won't have to use it anymore.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Yorkie Love

I have to agree with Maxy.

I also hope you exhausted all other options before you went to this route... putting a shock collar on a dog, especially a toy breed dog (this has nothing to do with my love of "small" dogs... just that something is going to hurt a chi alot more then a Fila ), must be painful... thats really the point... make them want to stop so they dont get it anymore... the goal really should be make them WANT to stop so they get something GOOD.... like teach the "enough" command and then reward with a treat.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
just that something is going to hurt a chi alot more then a Fila )
Yea, but would the chi going get revenge? Bella's feelings would be hurt and then she'd do something to get back at us... hence, the training we've gone through to not have to resort to tactics like shock/bark collars, etc..

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
Yea, but would the chi going get revenge? Bella's feelings would be hurt and then she'd do something to get back at us... hence, the training we've gone through to not have to resort to tactics like shock/bark collars, etc..
oh trust me little dogs figure out a way to get back at you too...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Oohh, I bet, lol.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Live and learn ! I've never used a shock collar and didn't even know they were made small enough for a Chi ! Do they really bark that much !?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/