Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default GAH! Housetraining lapse

More Voodoo issues.

Every night, Zeus sleeps in the bedroom with us. Voodoo gets free run of the living room/kitchen area. He's started peeing/pooping or both in the dining room at night. The first time, I thought it was just an upset stomach. So I let it slide. But it's started happening regularly. It's not every night, maybe 3-4 times in the last month. That makes me think it's a housebreaking lapse and not seperation anxiety or any other issue. And it's always in the same area.

What should I do to fix this problem? Our entire living room/kitchen/dining room area has an open floor plan, so baby gates are out of the question. I'm thinking of crating him at night for two weeks or so, just to reinforce his housebreaking. Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Love my pets

Are you cleaning up the area with Nature's Miracle. Is he eating something different that may effect his system on those days/nights?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Walks into Mordor

It's not Nature's Miracle, but I am using a pet enzyme cleaner that's worked well for me in the past. He did eat something different yesterday, but not on the previous times he's had messes.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

I'd crate him for a few weeks like you said.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Island dweller

Sadly, my two always get into trouble when they are out of their crates at night. For some reason they don`t ask to go out if they are loose but they will bark or whine if they are in their crates and have to go. They also counter surf and dump the trash out soooo... I`ve given up.

hopefully a reminder in the crate will work for you.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Love my pets

Do you think he has to pee/poop at night and no one hears him trying to get you up. I know I'm a very light sleeper so my guys will wake me up at sometimes 4 a.m. to go outside to pee/poop. My hubby never hears them trying to wake us up.